R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

AC bat out of hell fan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Leomillan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC bat out of hell fan
    Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 10:53pm
Ok, running the furnace heater when off grid all works fine. However when I am hooked up to shore power and I try to run the heater the overhead "bat out of hell fan" from the AC unit kicks on blowing cold air and is extremely noisy. I have not found how to run just furnace fan when hooked to shore power, there seems to be no options I can find on the thermostat... Anyway to make this work right?
Thanx in advance...
Cheerz
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:37am
No idea what you mean by 'bat out of hell fan".

But you need to set the fan in the thermostat setting to OFF in order to not have the air conditioner fan come on when the furnace is on.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 9:38am
On the thermostat, set the fan to "auto" not hi or low. That will stop the fan from turning on when heating.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by RoverPod

No idea what you mean by 'bat out of hell fan".

Means it blasts air like crazy and is really really really loud.

I still don't get why FR thought it was an "improvement" to tie the heater tstat in with the a/c. Didn't used to be like that and everything worked fine, now there seem to be no end of complaints and issues with the newer integrated system. Cheaper maybe?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 6:37pm
It has been that way for several years. Our 20016 RP179 is that way. To keep the AC fan from running when using the furnace, set the fan to Auto. If running the AC though, having it on Lo so it runs constantly is better than hearing it cycle on and off and change speeds during the night.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:45am
My 2015 179 had separate tstats for the a/c and furnace. Worked just fine no problems, confusion, or weird interactions. Since the furnace does not need 120Vac for anything I think it's a much better design to keep that completely separate from the a/c. No reason to have them interconnected. The furnace is just looking for a contact closure calling for heat to turn on, and an open on those lines to turn off.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
DaveB1701 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveB1701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by StephenH

It has been that way for several years. Our 20016 RP179 is that way. To keep the AC fan from running when using the furnace, set the fan to Auto. If running the AC though, having it on Lo so it runs constantly is better than hearing it cycle on and off and change speeds during the night.

My '21 171 has the Dometic 'touch capacitive' thermostat, that unfortunately, after 4 trips out, is becoming a push button thermostat, and likely on the road to failure as many others have reported.  Personally, however, I like the fact that the thing can be set on low fan, then for furnace operation.  The '21 171s furnace outlet is under the roadside dinette seat, and the A/C fan moves the warm air back to the sleeping area. Of course, if you prefer to sleep in dead silence, this is not an option.  But I now leave my 'white noise' generator at home - one less thing to pack, and the birds don't wake me up @ 4 A.M...Sleepy
2021 R-Pod 171
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6
Just me & my pooch Mr. Buster...
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 4:24pm
I just installed an EasyTouch thermostat but haven't really given it a comprehensive test due to lack of sufficient power for AC in my storage unit. I did test it on fan and furnace, but I didn't actually check to see if the fan setting affected the AC unit when the furnace was on. 
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
 Post Reply Post Reply