This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tow Vehicles - Toyota Goes Turbo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicles - Toyota Goes Turbo
    Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:34am
Storage of nuclear waste in the desert?  You may want to ask the people affected by the Yucca Mt., NV, nuclear storage site how they feel about it.  On the other hand, Norway seems to have come up with a viable nuclear storage solution that may make nuclear reactors more practical.  

EV's are one possible solution, but the use of hydrogen fuel cell technology may also be a viable alternative.  Using solar, wind, and tidal generated electricity, along with nuclear, may provide a viable energy source to produce hydrogen for fuel cells.  It effectively is one possible way to store energy that cannot be consistently produced, such as solar.  

Seems to me the Toyota hybrid truck is an expensive transitional approach to solve a long distance towing issue, shooting for the benefits of an EV with the unlimited range of an ICE.  In a few years, however, it'll likely be a white elephant that no one really wants so the resale value may be pretty awful.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 9:42am
Ford seems to be betting on a hybrid also. However, in Ford's case, they are touting the use of it as a generator also. That makes it more attractive since I wouldn't need to carry a separate generator. I don't know if Toyota's offering will also have this feature.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:12am
My point was that materials extraction, processing, and transport causes environmental harm. The two most heavily extracte materials are oil and coal. Of course, because they are consumed immediately, one time use only. If we can reduce those then not only have we reduced CO2 but also the environmental costs of obtaining, processing, and transporting the fuels.

While Li extraction has issues (mostly water use in desert areas), it is a one time environmental impact for a product that will be used for decades. So much less material is needed.

As I said earlier, I agree that the benefit of EVs, while there even when charged on dirty grids, is much better when the grid is cleaned up. We need to do both, and get away from assuming the status quo in energy production when considering EVs That status quo is rapidly changing.

BTW, the same is true the other direction. EVs will be part of the renewable storage solution once we can get past our confused and complex regulatory system and certify bi directional chargers. They are already being implemented in other countries with a more centralized regulatory approach, but you can't buy one here yet. That is the main thing that is keeping me from buying an EV right now. Which ones will bi directional chargers be available for. As for aggregating nd managing those storage resources on the grid, that is already being done Our friend Elon has a whole division of Tesla doing just that with other storage resources (not the cars yet). Others are doing it too.

I agree with you on pursuing Thorium reactors. I'm willing to consider any technology that can be quickly implemented that reduces carbon and breaks the stranglehold on the global economy that big oil and the oil exporting countries has had for a century. But Thorium reactors are a long way from being on line. One reason renewables have been so successful recently is because they are fast to implement. You can go from concept to an operating plant in 6-9 months. Usually the thing that takes the longest is the financing. Sadly with all the roadblocks, nukes take decades to reach completion, if ever. In my opinion, need to stop that, treat this whole energy transition as we did industrial production in WW2 or the Apollo program, and git er done. The Chinese know that very well, that's why they already dominate global production of solar and lithium batteries.

Let's stipulate that towing trailers long distances is not a viable use case for EVs today, but let's also recognize that for the majority of motor vehicle use they are fine, and in many cases better.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:27am
Not sure of the details of issues at Yucca mountain, but in the end there will be environmental impacts from anything we do, and inevitably those will impact some people more than others. Ask the poor people who live next to the refineries in Louisiana. We need to try our best to make sure those impacts are equitable but they will never be zero. There are just too many people demanding too high a lifestyle for that to happen. How many people live near Yucca Mountain?

Re hydrogen, it is a terribly inefficient energy storage technology, far worse than batteries. And the vast majority of hydrogen production is from fossil fuels. Hmmm.

It's simply not competitive with batteries except perhaps as an aviation fuel because it's got a very high energy density. Toyota was touting it for a long time but seems to have backed off recently.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by offgrid

Recharge time is solved as far as I'm concerned. The new generation of 800V cars and DC chargers charge at 250+kw. So a Porsche Taycan for example can charge from 5 to 80 percent in under 25 minutes.

Mitigated maybe, but not solved. I can gas up in 5 minutes. For short haul driving where you don't need to fill up often, it's not a big issue, but when you're driving cross-country and have to make multiple stops for fueling, that extra 20 minutes per fill really adds up. I imagine hydrogen fill-ups would take about the same time as a gasoline fill-up.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:56am
Originally posted by lostagain

EV's are one possible solution, but the use of hydrogen fuel cell technology may also be a viable alternative.  Using solar, wind, and tidal generated electricity, along with nuclear, may provide a viable energy source to produce hydrogen for fuel cells.  It effectively is one possible way to store energy that cannot be consistently produced, such as solar.  
I'm less optimistic of hydrogen. The biggest issue in my mind is that it takes more fossil fuel to make hydrogen in the first place. I have yet to see a carbon-neutral way to make hydrogen, with the possible exception of using hydrogen as a storage mechanism for solar.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 12:16pm
If hydrogen can be obtained using solar and wind, then it may be more viable.  The technology needs to be explored.  It may not pan out, but I seem to recall people saying the same thing about electric cars many years ago.  Who knows what efficiencies will be developed.  Clearly, we should not use it if it can only be obtained with the burning of fossil fuels.

As for lithium, its mining is very damaging to the environment, especially where it is mostly located.  It uses staggering amounts of water where water is very scarce, leaves dangerous chemical behind which contaminate what's left of aquifers needed for local people's food production and domestic use, and contaminates vast tracts of land, especially in Chile, Bolivia and Argentina.  It isn't practical to recycle at this point, though eventually that may change.  It isn't really practical in large scale energy storage either.  Take a look at this discussion about the extractions and use of lithium:  https://interestingengineering.com/clean-evs-and-dirty-lithium-mining-business  I should add regarding water use:  Much of S. America has been in a protracted and extreme drought.  The water extraction of lithium is really not sustainable.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 1:20pm
The issue of generation of hydrogen from non-carbon sources is that one needs quite a bit of electricity to break the bonds and separate oxygen from hydrogen by electrolysis. Then one would be using the hydrogen to generate electricity to power the vehicle. Overall, it seems to be a very inefficient process. Then the energy density of hydrogen is very low. 

One can compress hydrogen, but only so much as the weight of the pressure vessel increases to contain that pressure. If one liquefies the hydrogen by cooling it to cryogenic temperatures, that would decrease the pressure and increase the density, but then we would need to be driving rolling Dewar flasks to keep it from flashing into vapor. Imagine a crash in one where the insulation of the container is compromised. The hydrogen would vaporize and spread. Then any spark would set it off. It wouldn't be a pretty sight. The same would apply to any fuel that is a vapor at temperatures normally encountered in driving. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:11pm
Hydrogen has been explored plenty, it's a waste of time. It cannot ever be anywhere near as efficient as batteries. The fossil fuel industry has lobbied for it for years because it's made from their products. It is not more efficient when made using renewables. It's really quite like corn ethanol, a dead end that has been kept alive by special interest groups far too long.

As for lithium mining, none of what you are describing is as bad as the environmental impacts of petroleum production are, not even counting the burning of the stuff. As I said all options have negative impacts, it's a matter of which are worse. The only other option is less vehicles on the road driving less miles, so we can all take public transportation when possible. But that's not likely to happen.

For stationary grid storage there are many options that might be and probably are better than Li batteries. Pumped storage for one is very well proven and efficient, but it's difficult to site because you need reservoirs at the top and bottom of a mountain. That raises NIMBY issues yet again. Nothing comes for free.

Re energy replenishment time, for me, if I save that 5 minutes at the gas pump 90% of the time by charging at home I'll happily accept 25 minutes the other 10% of the time. If you do the math I've cut my total energy replenishment time in half compared to using gasoline. If I spent 90% of my time on the road travelling long distances that would be different, but again that is an unusual use case.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:22pm
Looks like we're all in agreement:  There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>