This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tow Vehicles - Toyota Goes Turbo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicles - Toyota Goes Turbo
    Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 2:49pm

That is in fact the lay version of the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which states that entropy (disorder) in a system always increases.

The first law is conservation of energy, the third is that the energy in a closed system goes to zero at absolute zero, which can never be reached. So, a physicist has famously expressed those 3 laws as:

1) you can't win, 2) you can't break even, 3) and you can't get out of the game.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:33pm
I do think that nuclear energy has not been explored enough. All the early nuclear power plants were monstrous affairs that just made it even more unpalatable. I've see some new designs for smaller neighborhood-size micro-nukes that look like they could solve a lot of problems. The disposal issue is still there, but I think it is solvable as well.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:37pm
I've always thought that nuclear energy isn't given a fair shake. It's certainly more reliable from a power delivery standpoint than either solar or wind and it's carbon neutral.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 2:36pm
People are nervous about nuclear power. Nuclear accidents such as Windscale (Great Britain), Three Mile Island (US), Chernobyl (USSR), and Fukushima Daichi (Japan) have made people leery of nuclear power. However, fusion is still a dream. We need energy and we need it to be clean, safe, and inexpensive. If we learn hte lessons of the past and design new nuclear power stations to be inherently safer and get over the fear, we can have nuclear power as a viable option. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 5:41pm
One of the big problems with nuclear power is waste disposal.  Everyone seems to want to put the waste in someone else's back yard.  It appears that they have come up with a pretty good waste burial system in Norway that should be good for a very, very long time.  I don't think it'd work, though, in areas with a lot of active seismic events.  Also, with rising sea levels, coastal installations are more problematic.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 8:33am
I used to oppose nuclear power for the same reasons raised here. But I changed my mind about 20 years ago. The problem with these discussions is that they are theoretical in nature, theres no sense of urgency.

It's not an either or thing anymore, it's all of the above. We are out of time. Any viable low or no carbon energy source needs to be deployed as soon as possible. All of them have downsides, but none of the downsides are as bad as flooded cities or whole states turning into cinders.

Storage is not a restriction on the deployment of renewables today. On a local scale in a few areas yes but nationally and globally not at all. Plenty of electricity markets with low renewable penetration that can handle much more. A kw of solar in say Appalachia reduces carbon emissions by about the same amount as a kw in northern California does.

The benefit of doing that is that it's very fast, cheap, and not subject to much in the way of NIMBY issues. Other low or no carbon options, especially nukes, take much longer. We should do them, but not wait for them. We should deploy grid storage too, and utilize vehicle to grid (V2G) technology with EVs for storage as well. Those should be deployed first in those markets that are already saturated with renewables, so that they can continue to add solar and wind.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 7:34am
This has been great discussion to read through - very enlightening as a former Econ prof. I am actually strongly considering the new Tundra Hybrid simply because the mileage should be 20+ mpg when not towing and the large + in Horsepower and Torque (near 600 ft lbs.) when towing should future proof if I decided on a trailer > 5,000 lb. unloaded weight. My 2017 Tundra 5.7L has been stellar in terms of reliability and comfort. Mileage stinks when not towing, which for me has been about 40% of my usage miles. I disagree that this hybrid will become a white elephant. My take is that EV trucks will see too much range declination to make it work for my use case (any many others). Until I see data, I think a 300 mile range on an EV 1/2 ton truck likely will see 50-70% declination with any real payload attached. 100-150 mile range just won't cut it when towing. ~PP
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:13am
I think a better term that white elephant would be niche vehicle. As the manufacturers transition to EV's which all the major ones except Toyota have stated they will do, those will become significantly cheaper than ICE vehicles, as predicted by Wright's law which has been a very good predictor of solar costs for about 40 years and EV battery cost for the 10 years or so they have been in the market.

EV/Battery learning curve

PV learning curve

Once they are cheaper then the range differential will disappear (there are already 500 Mike range EVs) and ICE tow vehicles will become a market niche.

We'll also get more efficient travel trailers with battery sleds.A large battery capacity in the trailer will enable an all electric camping experience as well as EV range extension.

Low drag trailers are achievable too, here is an interesting trailer that is available now, inspired by Tesla owners apparently, just too expensive for the average owner. No reason that shape can't be made available in a mainstream trailer design. I really like the internally mounted heat pump/ air conditioner. Now if they would just get rid of the crappy "flexible" PV modules and cut the price in half (another learning curve) I might get one..,

Alto A2124
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:16am
Makes sense, so a battery sled on the TT would in effect partially fuel the EV TV when towing. Could be interesting if it would overcome the added weight the battery sled adds to the trailer. 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 9:27am
How much does a "battery sled" weigh?  Seems to me, if the 1200 lb. Tesla battery is any indication, the battery weight may present some some design challenges.  That's not to say that the challenge cannot be overcome, but as always, what seems an obvious solution at first glance may more complicated than initially believed.  Once again, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>