R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Level Inside Doesn’t Jive With Level Outside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Thin Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Level Inside Doesn’t Jive With Level Outside
    Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 7:42pm

We have been leveling our R Pod with a short level on the floor just inside the door. For side-to-side leveling it seems like we could either place the level inside on the floor or on the A-frame section of the tongue, but if the level is horizontal on the frame, it is slightly off when placed inside. Any opinions on which reading I should trust? 

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:29pm
Compare the level at the refrigerator and the floor and at the A-Frame. Use the level which is closest for the refrigerator. That should be okay.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Thin Air View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Thin Air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 3:36pm
Based on your advice, it sounds like it is best if the refrigerator is level. I thought that being level might also be critical for the slideout. In any case, we have a 180 and the fridge is in the slideout. So even if the floor is level below the fridge, it may not have much bearing on the slideout.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 3:47pm
Fridge does work most efficiently when it is level due to the way the ammonia cooks and cools inside the coils on the rear side.  Fortunately fridge level on the slide (177) agrees with the floor where we enter even though both of these are slightly off from the reading we get off the a-frame.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 5:38pm
If the fridge is +-2 to 3 degrees of level thats ok. That's around 1/3 of a bubble off level on most levels, or you can use your smartphone and get actual degrees. I usually tried to keep the slide side slightly lower (1 or 2 deg) so water would run away from the seals if it rained.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:30pm
The frame is a formed channel. It would not be at all unusual for the top and bottom flanges not to be parallel or perpendicular to the web. Manufacturers must allow some tolerance of error, lest nothing be finished or good enough.

Use the floor, it it matters to you, since that would have governed the construction of the walls and counter tops. It *is* annoying to have all the oil in the pan to pool on one side.

I use a torpedo level on the frame opposite of the battery and tolerate any error I get.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 2:45pm
The frame is two 2x4 inch tubes on mine and others I've seen. You have a channel frame?
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:46pm
We have a 179, but i would think that leveling virtually any trailer would be the same.

We initially used a 4' level that we located as close to directly over the axle as possible.  the axle seems to be the contact/pivot point.

We leveled the trailer side to side and then front to back.  We went  inside and walked around for a minute or two to settle everything.  Then went back out and rechecked level both ways.  We made slight adjustments as necessary to get back to perfectly level.

Then we permanently installed 2 of the longest bubble levels that we could find.  We put  one on the base of the refrigerator cabinet for front to back leveling and the other one above the power center for side to side leveling.  These levels were screwed into the cabinets so they will not slip. Now we can use the permanently attached bubble levels and not have to carry a separate long level.

It is easy for Laura to open the trailer door and see both levels at the same time.  she can direct me for backing onto leveling blocks for  side to side leveling or for up/down on the tongue jack.

Safe Travels
Vann

here are examples of the type bubble levels we used:
https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-08526-Never-Graduated-Level/dp/B00CXBAJBO/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rv+bubble+levels&qid=1634165058&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Masters-6700-Level-Master/dp/B000V55NB0/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=rv+bubble+levels&qid=1634165058&sr=8-5

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply