R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire wear on potential purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote nrw1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire wear on potential purchase
    Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:49pm
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and considering purchasing a 2014 R182G.  I have never owned a camper and my experience is limited. One of the tires is wearing on the outside edge.  The owner said it was most likely an alignment issue and plans to have it fixed.  Tire pressure was 39, should have been 50.

Does that sound concerning?  Any questions I should be asking?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 5:17pm
Usually you might get wear on an inside edge that could indicate a bent axle (if an axle bends on an rpod the wheels will splay out at the bottom (called negative camber). What your describing sounds like positive camber or toe in. Underinflation should result in wear on both edges. This chart might help:

tire wear

You can check by putting a long straight edge up against the wheel
with the tires properly inflated and the trailer on level ground. It should be vertical when placed up and down (shouldn't lean in or out) and parallel to the side of the trailer when placed horizontally.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
nrw1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nrw1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 5:18pm
Awesome, thanks!
nrw1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nrw1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 5:24pm
Also, it's just one of the tires.  Any other sources you're aware of? 
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 5:59pm
One wheel can easily have toe or camber issues while the other one doesn't. For example just hitting a big pothole can bend an axle on one side but not the other. Tires and wheels can of course also be moved around. Is the seller claiming that that tire has always been on that side, and is it the same age as the other tire?

Usually a good shop can fix these issues. Worst case scenario under some conditions you might have to replace the axle. Cost for a bare rpod axle is under $1k plus labor, assuming you reuse your existing brake assemblies on the new axle. IOW, while it could be real $$$, it's not the end of the world even if you have to change out your axle, which is probably not necessary.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply