This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Newby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Subee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby
    Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 9:07am
 We pick up our R Pod 196 in a couple of weeks, but I wanted to say hi. Any advise on things to look for during the walkthrough would be appreciated. 

Right now we are working thru WDH type. TV is a 2017 Suburban. If I’m close on camperspeak, it’s due to obsessively reading this forum. Thank you for already being a huge help

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 10:37am
Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your new R-Pod. I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories in your travels with it.

Things to look for:

Fit and finish: Make sure all drawers work and align properly; make sure all doors work properly and are secure (I don't recall if the 196 has a sliding door or not). Make sure all locks work smoothly. Hopefully, the dealer will have vacuumed out the manufacturing sawdust from inside the cabinets and behind the drawers. Verify operation of the slide-out.

Plumbing:  Make sure all faucets work. There has been a problem with plastic residue from installing fittings clogging the faucets. Make sure the person conducting the walk-through demonstrates the winterizing valve operation, operation of pump, and operation of water heater, both on propane and electric. Make sure water heater is full before turning on the heat, either gas or electric. Have them show you how to make sure that it is full. Also, have them show you the anode rod and explain about removing and replacing as needed.

Heat and AC operation: Have them demonstrate the thermostat and operation for heat and cooling. Verify operation of both AC and furnace. Have them show you how to set the thermostat for fan on Auto, Hi, or Lo. If you have been reading, you already know why you want to know that.

Refrigerator:  Make sure it works, not only on electric, but also on gas. Ours had a mud-dauber nest in the flue which caused problems. Make sure they show you the outside panels and let them show you the operation on gas so you know what the flame should look and sound like.

Does your Suburban already have a brake controller built-in? If not, you will need to install one. If it already has the round Bargman 7-way connector, it will be easy as there should be a connector under the dash for a brake controller.  I don't know what type of WDH you are gong to get. Whichever one you get, remember that the initial set-up by the dealer will likely need to be adjusted once you get the R-Pod loaded. Your dealer should verify that all lights work properly once the trailer is hitched.

Do a search (may need to use the advanced search) for Brake Burnishing. Your brakes will need to be burnished before they will perform adequately.

Last, if you can, bring a camera and take lots of pictures and notes. Or, you could shoot a video. Best is to have one person taking notes, paying attention to the walk-through while another person shoots video. It is hard to catch everything when one is trying to shoot video.

I think you are already off to a good start. I hope this helps. The 196 is a nice layout.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Subee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Subee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 11:31am
Thank you so very much. This is a great list. 

TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:00pm
The 196 really is a great floorplan. I just took delivery about a month ago on a 2022 196 and have had it out on one camping trip thus far. It's a significant improvement on the 179 from which I upgraded, addressing most of the shortcomings of the 179 that my wife and I addressed ourselves.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by TheBum

The 196 really is a great floorplan. I just took delivery about a month ago on a 2022 196 and have had it out on one camping trip thus far. It's a significant improvement on the 179 from which I upgraded, addressing most of the shortcomings of the 179 that my wife and I addressed ourselves.

Do the newer 195/196s have the bathroom pocket door like our 2020 195?  If so, be sure to support it at its base when on the road (to the OP and anyone else it may concern).  They like to pull off their upper attachments.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Pod_Geek

Do the newer 195/196s have the bathroom pocket door like our 2020 195?  If so, be sure to support it at its base when on the road (to the OP and anyone else it may concern).  They like to pull off their upper attachments.

They still have the pocket door, but I haven't checked to see if FR has stabilized the bottom.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
Subee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Subee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:57pm
It had everything we wanted in a size that we could manage. I am so over looking at campers. 
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod_Geek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by TheBum

Originally posted by Pod_Geek

They still have the pocket door, but I haven't checked to see if FR has stabilized the bottom.

If there's still a gap (ours is maybe 2") between the bottom of the door and the floor that's where the issue is.  The door wants to pull off the rather flimsy upper hardware support.  We wedge a pool noodle (cut about in half) under the door when on the move.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
dagnome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dagnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 8:21pm
I am also a newbie in this forum.  We picked up our 2017 R Pod HRE,179 last Saturday and are planning a maiden voyage next weekend.  Question: Are there different size WDH's, and if so which is used the most with my 179. TV is a 2012 Chevy Traverse (with factory Tow Pkg.) Haven't had an RV for 14 years and not sure what has changed & what's the same.  Not real sure I posted this correctly, if not, my apologies. Any help would be appreciated!
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 10:09pm
The Equalizer 600 lb tongue weight, 6,000 lb trailer weight is what I have. You really don't need anything heavier for a 179.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>