R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New 153 and Removal of Models

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 153 and Removal of Models
    Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 7:12am
I happened on to the R-Pod floor plan page and saw some big changes this morning (Midwest region). New 153 and removal of 171, 180, 189, 190. Here is the link:

Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 10:50am
That tracks with the statement FR came out with saying that they were suspending production on narrower models to concentrate on the (higher demand) wider models.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they completely discontinue the narrower models as a cost saving move. The 153 is a prime example of a wider model catering to a more cost conscious clientele.

Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 11:05am
Disapointed that the "wide body" models do not have something with the configuration of the 179.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 11:43am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Disapointed that the "wide body" models do not have something with the configuration of the 179.

The 195 is really close in layout to the 179 and improves upon it IMO. The 196 is close if you've ever traded out the 179 dinette cushions for a futon.
Alan
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 2:45pm
Too bad about the narrow body rpods,   that was the best thing about them in my opinion. It's certainly not their build quality 😜.

Better visibility, less frontal area, more manouverable, and they fit into tighter spaces.

There are tons of wide body trailer options out there, no reason to stick with rpods if you dont find a layout you like in the wide body rpod lineup.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:30pm
Saddened to see the OP.  What attracted us to the rpod lineup was the teardrop design back in 2010.  With the 171 out - that is history of a bygone era.  Will keep an extra sharp eye out on our "prehistoric" 177 - might be a collector's item and in high demand someday.  I am quite sure that if ours is either stolen or wrecked by accident or similar that we will either look for another similar model or look elsewhere at different manufacture lines.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 8:05am
If I eventually get another TT it will most likely be a Casita. Much lower water intrusion concerns (water can get in through faulty window seals, run down and get in the floor) and the same 6'8" width as the narrow rpods so ez towing.. I haven't heard stories about structural issues with them either. The downside is no slide out but I guess I'm willing to trade more robust construction for the additional space at this point.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 12:51pm
When I was originally researching travel trailers, I dismissed the Casita because it had really small holding tanks and a low ceiling. Maybe they've addressed that by now.
Alan
Three cats
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 5:37pm
We have camped twice with Casita owners.  both complained that the trailers were too tight-no air infiltration causing mildew/mold. They said they were rainproof
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 6:02pm
The small FWT (23 gal) in the Casita is a downside. The other tank sizes I think are fine. I would just carry a couple extra water containers I guess.

I would think the moisture issue wouldnt be a problem if you left some ventilation open. I've read that window seals can be a problem, the water doesn't cause much of a problem for the walls but can destroy the wood floor, especially since the trailers are built like a boat, there's no place for water to get back out once it gets in and drains down.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply