R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Spammers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spammers
    Posted: 08 Oct 2021 at 7:18am
Someone just pointed out a suspicious post, which lead me to find multiple spammer accounts going back at least to June of last year without detection.  Some of these had IP addresses within the US (often the spammers have overseas IP addresses).  These latest spammers are using boilerplate posts, but they are tailored for the thread subject matter so they are harder to spot.  

They don't always include a link in their posts, but when they do it is always to the same website.  Some posts are designed to stir up discussion on a topic, then they drop in a post with their advertisement link. Usernames include a number at the end (many members do, too, this is just an indicator).  It also appears that they usually fill out the "AIM Address" in their member profile with something, sometimes with a postal address.

Keep your eye out for any I may have missed and use the "report post" feature when you find one.  Thanks.

Here are two examples:
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:24pm
Thanks for the update Doug and letting us know what to look for, much appreciated.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 6:40am
Thanks for your vigilance.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 7:52am
+1, thanks. The spammers are getting more sophisticated, used to be their posts were so far off topic they were obvious.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
dagnome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dagnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:36am
I am brand new and having trouble with password & posting. Is it possible to have someone from admin contact me?Dead  Tried FAQ's.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by dagnome

I am brand new and having trouble with password & posting. Is it possible to have someone from admin contact me?Dead  Tried FAQ's.

Sent you an email.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply