R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Fresh water tank fills up when connected to water?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh water tank fills up when connected to water?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tonii87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh water tank fills up when connected to water?
    Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 6:22pm
Good evening,

So I took my R Pod 183g out for the first time. I didn’t realize that when I connected the water hose the fresh water tank got full of water until I got home 300 miles later. Lesson learned there but is there a way to by pass the fresh water tank or that’s just the way it’s supposed to work?

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 7:49pm
No, it's not intended to do that, there is a check valve in the water pump that is supposed to prevent that. It's pretty common for that to leak and backfill the fresh water tank when on city water, especially if you don't use the pump much. Try disconnecting city water and use your pump and FWT for a bit, see if that clears it. You might need to cycle back and forth between city water and the pump/tank a few times.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:02pm
+1 on Offgrid's advice.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tonii87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tonii87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:06pm
I didn’t use the pump at all while connected to the city water. Will check that out. Thank you
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 8:22pm
Will have to try hooking up my hose to the city water connection and see if that happens to my 177.  Here I have owned it for almost 11 years and have never used that connection, have always used well water and the FW tank.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:46pm
You normally don't use the pump while connected to city water. You do need water in the tank to use the pump. Since it got filled up, that is a good time to exercise that pump and hopefully, clear whatever piece of debris is blocking the check valve from closing.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 7:48am
It seems that the folks who have this issue are folks who are normally connected to city water and don't use the pump and 12v water system. Like humans the pump needs some excercise from time to time to clear the pipes.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 3:33pm
First time since owning our 177 (that was March 2011) that I hooked up the water hose to the city water connection.  Waited a while to see if any would go into the FW tank . . . . none did so that is check valve is in proper working order.  If I am still alive in another 11 years maybe I will try that city water connection for the 2nd time.Smile
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
TeamRPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TeamRPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 8:15am
My 10 year old Pods fresh water tank bows out and will not fully drain. I can just throw bleach in there but am thinking about snaking a tube in there and siphon the remaining water out - unless someone can share a better idea. Taking her out for her final voyage of the year this weekend. My windshield was crusted over with ice this morning, and the park I am going to has HIGH water pressure. I hope my camper is not a multi sprinkler head after I connect...
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 9:14am
Park so that the drain on the tank is lower. That may mean raising the opposite side of the pod on a ramp or blocks and adjusting the front/rear angle so that more water drains out. Other than that, you could put a long wide board under the low part and use a jack to push the bowed part of the tank up so more can drain also. Once you get below the fitting levels, any residual water will not cause damage when it freezes.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>