R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lagun style table - source for new table top?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cormacpara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lagun style table - source for new table top?
    Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 12:47pm
Hey podders!  I just installed a lagun style table - Will add in some pics (Obviously had to re-enforce) all the backing but I'm looking for a source for the replacement (just shy) of 28" x 28" table top.  I came across the "Lama-Light" type stuff but that specific vendor is 2 months out.  Does anyone have any suggestions for other vendors and have recieved some lightweight table tops?

Many thanks!
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 5:19pm
I made our tabletop using 3/4' birch plywood cut to size and finished with 3 coats of tabletop varnish.  It has served us well for over 4 years. if it ever needed it, it would be easy to sand it and add more coats of finish. it is much larger than your size, but the process is the same.

I roughly measured the table size on the blank plywood.  Then I added 2" painter's tape to both sides of the plywood where the cuts would be. then I carefully measured the exact size and shape that I wanted onto the taped plywood. make sure all marks on the tape on both sides.The tape will keep all edges smooth when you use your jig saw to make the cuts. the best jig saw blade for this  is a down cut, flush cut high tooth per inch blade.After you cut, remove the tape, sand the edges and top and began applying finish.  I used Woodwoker's Supply Tabletop Varnish.  I have used it before and it makes a smooth, durable finish.  You can brush it over bare wood or stained wood.  I used 3 coats and steel wool between coats.

actually, after we made it and used it a couple of times, we decided to change the size-we made it narrower and shorter and increased the radius of the corners. We did the same process with tape, cut and finish the edges.
Travel Safe 
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Toyanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 9:44pm
I used my stock top so I can still set up the bed if needed.

Here is the mount I made.

JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 7:38am
Good job, clean and stout.  Did you do the fabrication?
Jay

179/2019
Toyanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Toyanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:35pm
Thank you, yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply