This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New Pod owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Pod owners
    Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 10:20pm
Hi all, my wife and I are new to RVing. We acquired a 2016 R182g about a month ago. We were thinking about a smaller trailer since we have a Honda Pilot (4wd) but we liked the features on the pod and are willing to upgrade to a bigger TV. I've already found the forum to be a great resource that helped prepare for our first outing. We did a short test drive to get a feel for handling and verify the brake controller was working properly before taking it on a short trip. We really liked camping in the pod and our Pilot towed it ok. I kept it to 55-60 most of the time and didn't have any stability issues, but long grades had the motor working pretty hard. I checked the drop before and after hooking up and it was within the limits per the Honda manual, but we kept it really light (took off the trailer bike rack and roof rack from the Pilot) as I was concerned with exceeding the tongue weight. I haven't weighed it but I've added up our gear weight and I'm sure we will need wdh if we load up for a longer trip. Long term I think I would be more comfortable upgrading to a larger TV. We have made reservations for a week long trip in January so we'll likely be upgrading or renting a truck for that trip.
Question 1. If we buy a wdh to use until we upgrade will it still be usable for a 1/2 ton pickup?
Q2) is a V6 Ram enough power to maintain 60 mph on mountain grades? We eventually want to take the pod to Colorado. I prefer economy of a 6 over v8 power, but I do want 4wd for backroad excursions (without trailer) and snow. I'm happy to keep it under 65 but I do not want to be an underpowered on the road. We'd welcome any recommendations on a wdh or TV selection!
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 2:51am
Congratulations and welcome to your 24/7 owners manual.  Bravo to you in doing the homework before launching out with your 182G.

Even though i do not utilize a wdh it should be transferable to a pickup.  In our case we have used the same $40 Curt anti-sway bar on the same 2011 177 since we picked it up in March 2011: '08 and '13 Explorer's and '17 F-150.

Am sure a V6 Ram should have enough power for pulling your 182G.  Make sure it has a towing package or at least a transmission cooler and also check the owner manuals specs on allowable towing weight limits on the particular model you are interested in purchasing.

Great idea to find out the tongue weight of your 182G.  You want 11% or more of the loaded weight of your r-pod to be on the tongue, in our case that was 323 lbs and even though we have a HF storage box on the a-frame with two 12v batteries and a pair of 20# propane tanks I still had to add 3 used truck rotors in the front storage area to get the weight up.  Recently one of our batteries had to be retired, it was 2 months shy of 11 years old.  The remaining one (group size 24 deep cycle Interstate 12v) will be 11 years old in April 2022 and is still performing well.  It was decided to replace the retired one with a 12v golf cart battery which in this case is a Trojan T-1275 that gives 150 Ah and weighs 85 lbs. which in our case is great, now I can remove the 3 used rotors that have taken up valuable storage space and still keep the tongue weight above that 11% figure to minimize trailer sway.

Again, in our particular case we have had great success towing our 177 (empty 2415# and loaded with full FW tank 2940#) with both of the Explorers (this included a lot of travel in the Rockies) and went to the pickup 3 years ago mainly to have more storage while doing extended travel as we mainly boondock.  The current pickup is a 3.5 V6 with ecoboost and gives decent mileage while towing as well as great performance where you need it in the mountains.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
PilotPodder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PilotPodder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 5:24am
I have been towing my 2017.5 179 for almost five years with a 2017 Toyota Tundra and it has been outstanding. It does have the 5.7L V8, but the new 2022 models are moving to a turbo charged v6. I also towed with a Honda Pilot before the Tundra and it was only a fair experience on my then R-Pod 171. The TV upgrade will be worth it. I still use a WDH (Blue Ox) with my Tundra and 179 as it helps balance out the weight fore and aft when traveling, yielding a much more comfortable ride. 
Portage, MI — 2017 RPod 179 - sold / 2017 Toyota Tundra — My RPod YouTube Videos
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 9:10am
If you have a 5000 lb tow rated Pilot you should be fine if you keep the load light in both your trailer and tow vehicle. Weigh your rig loaded like you plan to travel at a public scale, adding one axle at a time with and without the trailer, then use subtraction to get each axle weight. The tongue weight is the weight of the tow vehicles two axles with the trailer less it's weight without the trailer.

Then load all your specs and weights into this calculator to see where you are. Your specs will be on the driver's door sticker on the TV and on the sticker on the front driver's side of the trailer.

Once you've done that you can shop for a WDH (assuming your Pilot's manual doesnt disallow use of WDH's).   Note from the calculator that when you compare the front axle load with and without the trailer it goes down with the trailer attached. That is what makes the ride less stable, and the WDH corrects for that. When adjusted correctly the WDH will return the weight on the front axle back where it was without the trailer. There will still be additional load on the TV rear axle so the TV will always be lower in the rear with the trailer.

You can increase the WDH spring bar tension in the calculator to see how much force is required. Most WDH spring bars are 18 inches. Then get a WDH with the next higher load rating than that tension. You can use the same WDH on another vehicle later but you should weigh again and the tension will be different (it's lower for longer wheelbase vehicles).

As for power, that is up to you. If you are well within your weight specs and your TV doesn't overheat then you will be safe, just slower on uphill grades with the lower hp engine. So what? Relax and enjoy the drive.

towing calculator
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
texastreehugger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 8:10pm
Thanks to all for the tips. I came across the calculator earlier and you answered some of my questions on inputs for the wdh!
2016 Rpod 182g
2022 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4

Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:38pm
We did our first off grid excursion last weekend. We went with the Andersen hitch and it seems to really lock things down. Most of the drive was 45-50 mph on winding hilly roads and had no issues, even with our canoe on the roof rack.
Pondering our upcoming trip to Big Bend (without canoe, but more passengers and cargo)...we put some camping pads under the dinette cushions and found that imoroves the comfort quite a bit! Furnace stopped heating on the 2nd night so I need to figure that out.
2016 Rpod 182g

Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:40pm
Hi all, we just completed our first longer trip! 5 nights at Big Bend Natl Park with our two daughters at a no electric, no connection site. I've got to say things went really well, with lots of credit to the great people on this forum which helped me prepare. We upgraded our Tow vehicle from our Pilot to a Chevy Colorado (I wanted to rent a truck for the trip, but couldn't find one). Lots of wind on the way out so I kept it to 50-55 until we got past it. We didn't have any sway issues,but could definitely feel the wind. Our pod didnt have a spare so I bought one and also got an extra 20lb propane tank for the trip. We didn't need either, but good to have insurance! Our pod has a 30 lb tank so I may switch to double 20s at some point. I had purchased a solar controller to direct charge the battery, but did not have time to assemble all the connections, so we used a Jackery powerstation and trickle charger to keep the battery charged. The first few nights I disconnected the Jackery overnight, but that seemed to deplete the battery so I started leaving it connected and that kept the charge up (recharged the jackery with solar). We did use a coleman stove for some of the cooking, but i am amazed we didn't need the 2nd propane tank since we ran the fridge,furnace,grill and water heater quite a bit. We refilled water 2x and dumped 1x.

Looking forward to our next adventure, I am once again seeking advice on a couple things.
1) is the water pump normally so loud? I found myself asking our neighbors if it bothered them.
2) looking for tips on a spare tire holder. I had it in the truck bed, but we were taking some rough roads exploring and woukd rather not have to deal with having to secure it and the space it takes up. I don't really have room on the tongue, and would rather not have it on the rear or even behind the axle. It looks like it might fit hanging from the frame forward of the water tank (bal hide a spare?). Anyone have a setup that works well? We do have 30x9.5" tires on 15" rims. (I kind of wish we had 14s as the garage is a bit high for the gals.)
2016 Rpod 182g
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 3:21am
Glad your trip went well.

Yes the water pump makes some noise. but only inside the trailer. Won't bother the neighbors. Turn it off when not using water so it doesn't cycle on and bother you. You can also try remounting it on rubber bushings so it's vibration doesn't carry to the rpod structure.

Why don't you want to mount the spare on the rear of the trailer? You should be fine on your weight distribution especially if you have two propane cylinders and/or two batteries on the tongue.

If you have already weighed you can calculate the tongue weight change from the spare as follows:

new tongue weight = old tongue weight - weight of spare x distance from spare to axle / distance from ball to axle.

BTW, this calc applies to any load change, subtract if the new load is behind the axle, add if forward of the axle.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 2:22pm
We did a couple of improvements that greatly reduced the noise from the water pump.
first, we mounted the pump on a 1 1/2" firm piece of foam that isolated any vibrations from the pod floor.  We also added foam pipe insulation to all of the piping under the bed. both of these changes made a great reduction in the pump noise.

we also moved our spare tire to the a frame.  In order to do this, our welder had to move the gas tank mount forward. we used the original rear mount and simply cut off the part that inserted into the 1 1/4" receiver. we had to be careful to make sure that the swing up tailgate of our Expediton would clear the tire.
Safe travels
Vann
ps-- we also spent some time at Big Bend(Big Cottonwood campground). It is close to the river and we took our canoe and paddled upstream as far as possible in the Saint Elena Canyon on the river-it was great.

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote texastreehugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 7:25pm
Thanks for the pump suggestions! I winterered our unit today since we are looking at a couple nights in the 20's. Found some good directions on this forum. I'll see what I can work out with the pump noise damping next time I have some time.
Regarding the spare, I'm just wary of getting too much weight aft. Probably all those videos of Australian campers wiping out that i came across when researching wdh/anti-sway systems! I also like the idea of having it under the trailer out of the way.
2016 Rpod 182g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>