R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery tender

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery tender
    Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 1:58pm
And put something "fresh" in this topic.....

I broke down and bought a "battery tender" type devise - partly for my own convenience and partly to ease the worries of a certain Mod (who knows a lot about batteries and the proper care thereof) LOL LOL

I found this at Autozone for $26.99 and it seems to do about everything a person might want.

It says it automatically compensates for temperature and also senses if the battery is "sulfated" and attends to that.

Here is my battery setup, which I referenced in another post

I installed a master disconnct switch on top of the battery box to completely kill all 12v. power to the camper, while not in use. 

As an added bonus, for reading this post, I'll throw in a couple of my favorite camping goodies

This is a Stanley tripod LED flashlight - which the legs fold up, so it can be held like a regular flashlight, too. I use it very frequently when dry camping...even using it for general lighting by just setting it on the table or countertop and pointing it up.  It is so bright that the reflected light is plenty enough for me for general lighting.  I liked it so much, I bought another one for use around the house.  I seem to remember paying around $10-15 each and they are usually on sale during the Christmas season.

These can be bought at Walmart and beats the heck out of rubbing two sticks together!  They are sawdust and wax "bricks" and, unless the wood is wet, I only need 1/2 "brick" to start the campfire.  One box will last several seasons.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 5:20pm
My mind is now at rest.  Big smile

+1 on the StartLogg product.  I burn 24/7 in my wood stove all winter and use about a case of that stuff every year.  I've tried other products like heart wood that gave me problems, but StarterLogg fires up the first time 99% of the time.  I use 1/4 of a stick each time unless I know the wood is a bit green or wet (often the case with wood bought at campgrounds).  I kept an old serrated steak knife to cut it up.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 5:22pm
Do you mind if I change the thread title, and move it over to the maintenance section?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Do you mind if I change the thread title, and move it over to the maintenance section?
Do anything you wish.  I put it here to avoid bumping recent posts.  You might want to put it in "Kids/Camping"...hasn't been a post there for a little while Ouch.  I've been trying to post a lot to give folks something to check in an read.

What really astounds me is that you didn't know about the latch on the fridge! LOL

By the way, did we ever find out who won our $.02 bet regarding the shorted light fixture post?  I saw (also at AutoZone) that the PEAK brand of backup cameras were down to $79.00.  With your $.02 plus my accumulated $20.00 in "rewards", I might just have to buy one and give it a try...it would only cost $58.98!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2010 at 12:08pm
Hmm, nope, I think the jury is still out on that one.  It would be nice to only pay $78.98 (no rewards for me).  A guy can dream.
 Post Reply Post Reply