This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New R-pod Owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Txayote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New R-pod Owner
    Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 6:25pm
Hello all, 

My name is Chad, I recently purchased a used 2017 182G from a local family, who took really good care of it. We are excited to get started, but currently have it dry-docked at the house so we can learn the ins and outs before taking it on an adventure.

Our friend who sold it to us told me about this site and said it's a great resource for information. We are in the process of getting a car to tow it, sorting out the hitch, and those details as well, so we have plenty of unknowns on the table. I understand the concepts, but would always appreciate the tribal knowledge from experience veterans such as yourselves.

We're planning an SUV with a 5-6k towing capacity, and are planning on getting a load distribution hitch. We're hunting around on carvana for a vehicle, but I'm having trouble determining if a tow-package is on board or not, if the supplemental cooling in the engine is present, or if the electric is wired for the brakes and the rest of the 7-spade.  

Does anyone have any tips on vehicles that worked for them or to stay away from? 
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good load-distribution hitch?
If we get a vehicle without a towing package, is that really going to affect the life/performance of the vehicle in a noticeable way?

Thanks for any help and info. I'm looking forward to learning more and getting out there soon. 

( |-| /-\ |)
Tulefog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tulefog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 9:48pm
Welcome Chad,  
The Rpod is a great starting trailer, I have had mine since June and being retired I get to go out weeks at a time dry camping or full hookups and it hasn't left us stranded. 
There is a topic section with pictures of member's tow vehicles and their travel trailer. I tow with an original Honda Ridgeline, but there are SUVs that others use and recommend. I towed my previous trailer a Jayco with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a tow package. It did fine, and I am sure it would pull the Rpod.
There is a lot of information in the forum, I did some research and saw what others do and it helped support my decisions on types of hitches, model of trailer we would like etc. 
There is a general information website for Forest River trailers,  for further details of components it helps to go to the component manufacturer's website which will give much more detail.
The members are very helpful, and in my experience any question is answered with what they feel will help you, good luck and congratulations on your new trailer.

2021 Rpod 180 2006 Ridgeline

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 10:05pm
Hello Chad,

Welcome and congratulations! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod. I know we have.

If you can afford it, look into a crew-cab pickup instead. You will still have passenger room plus you will gain the ability to store things in the bed of the truck that you would not want inside either an SUV or the RPod. We have a 2010 Nissan Frontier LE Crew Cab 4x4 with a roof rack and a hard tonneau cover. It has worked well. The only thing better would be to have a cap on the back instead. We carry things like the generator and propane there. I formerly carried gasoline for our previous generator but got the dual-fuel generator so I would not have to carry gasoline containers. The Frontier came with the tow package. I had to add the brake controller, but it already had the proper hitch, 7-way Bargman connector, transmission cooler, and alternator. It came pre-wired for the controller. I just needed the proper pigtail to plug into the connector and easy-peasy, it was done.

I also towed with a 2016 Ford Escape. The 2L Ecoboost engine was tremendous. However, the vehicle was marginal. We had an accident and that is when we got the Frontier. The Escape only had a 3,500 lb tow rating. It had a small gas tank and needed premium gas while towing. That meant stopping about every 100 miles to fill up. Then I learned to slow down and drive no more than 60 mph. It is much more relaxing, and it is much more economical.

Equal-i-zer 6000/600 lb (6,000 total weight, 600 lb tongue weight) is what we have. It is 4-point sway control in addition to being good at weight distribution. The sway control is not infallible. There are situations, such as on ice where it is not effective, especially when there is a strong cross-wind.

Fastway E2 is similar, except it is only two point sway control. It is popular judging from the number of posts I have read that recommend it.

Andersen No-Sway WD hitch is completely different. It is light weight if that matters. Instead of bars, it uses chains and urethane springs for WD functions and a friction cone at the hitch ball for sway control. I have not experience with it, but the low weight would be very attractive if I did not already have the Equal-i-zer.

Hensley Cub is top-end on hitches. It works differently and claims to eliminate the possibility of sway. Propride is very similar as the same person designed both. It is very expensive, and I found that it is a pain to hitch and unhitch if one was not on level ground. I sold it back to Hensley and went back to the Equal-i-zer.

Added to the hitch was electronic sway control. I got one make by Hayes, but the last I looked, it appeared to not be available. Similar ones are made by Lippert and Tuson. These detect sway beginning and apply the trailer brakes to bring the trailer back into line. This is automatic and does not require manual input from the driver. I think if I had this before the accident, I might have been able to avoid it.

As for adding a hitch, it is also adding the wiring. It can be done, but it does involve running wires the length of the vehicle to add the connector as well. If you are young and agile, it isn't so bad. If you are older, it can be tough to contort to get to the wiring to attach it. I had to do that with the Escape. I won't do it again if that tells you anything.

You did not say where you are located except North Carolina. If you are in the Raleigh Area, I live in Wake Forest. I would be happy to get together with you to discuss these and other issues in person.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 10:06pm
Welcome Chad to your online 24/7 owners manual.  Once you get everything set may you make a lot of great and unforgettable memories in your 182G.

I have owned a 177 since March of 2011.  For the first 8 years it was towed with an '08 Explorer (4.0L V-6 4x4 towing capacity 5000 lbs, and a '13 Explorer (3.5L V-6 towing capacity 5500 lbs).  Both had a towing package which you really need as it comes with a transmission cooler which is critically important when towing.  To find if you have this look for an additional radiator in front of the factory one that sits in front of your engine, usually they also come installed with a factory brake controller (at least they did on the Explorer's) and the 7 pin Bargman plug.

Since retiring and going longer distances and time frames we wanted more storage and also longer wheel base so now tow with a F-150.  With all vehicles only a $40 Curt anti-sway bar was used.  36,000+ miles and nearly 11 years, no issues with the set up.  Many use a WDH and state it gives a smoother ride, could be true I cannot comment as I have no experience with one.

Take your time, do your homework, search for info on this site.   We have benefited greatly over the years gleaning a lot of wisdom and sound advice from others, I am certain you will as well.  Again, welcome aboard !
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 8:31am
A 5000 lb rated SUV will tow a midsized rpod just fine. I used my Highlander for towing. As for pickups vs SUV's, that is a personal choice. I prefer SUVs with unibody construction, more interior room, better ride, and security for your cargo. Pickups don't appeal to me. Others here prefer the opposite. Since you will mostly be using the vehicle not towing, let your non towing requirements guide you.

You need to get a vehicle with a tow package on it from the manufacturer. Depending on the vehicle there are many items that either are very difficult or simply cannot be added later. You can confirm whether the factory tow package is on the vehicle by getting the VIN and calling a dealer parts dept for that brand. Do not take a salespersons word for it they will tell you what they thi k you want to hear.

As for weight distribution hitches there are many alternatives. They all do the same thing, which is to use leverage to move weight back on the front axle after the trailer is attached. Otherwise the front axle lifts up and the rear TV axle winds up with additional weight beyond the trailer tongue weight on it. Some WDH's incorporate sway control (by creating friction at the hitch point), some don't. You will want bother a WDH and sway control with a 5000-6000 lb rated tow vehicle. If you go heavier than that the wdh becomes optional but sway control is still advisable. My personal preference is separate sway control and weight distribution so you can adjust the sway control based on road and weather conditions while maintaining a constant level of weight distribution. The combined hitchs don't allow that but are slightly faster to connect up.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Dengle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dengle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 7:21pm
Chad: My Rpod 179 (2015 Model) is towed by a 2020 Grand Jeep Cherokee (V6) with tow package. No discernable sway with the Fastway E2 600 pound tongue weight model(combination equalizer and sway control). Had a 2014 Grand Jeep Cherokee (V6) "without tow package," but traded in for the 2020. Without tow package, the advertised towable weight was 3500 pounds max. However, with the tow package, the towable weight rises to 6200 pounds, providing a nice buffer as the max axle weight for Rpod 179 is about 3700 pounds. Recent travel into West Virginia via I-64 with some mountains caused no problems. Vehicle speed comfortable from 64-68 mph, but yes, have increased to 75 mph for short duration, only as necessary. Goodyear Endurance tires on trailer provide some confidence. This mid-size Jeep SUV seems quite adequate for the trailer and serves as a practical vehicle for every day transportation. My Best, Dengle (Cincinnati, Ohio)
2015 Rpod 179
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee,V6
w/tow package
 Post Reply Post Reply