This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lake Superior Loop Early May

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jwilson23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Superior Loop Early May
    Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:37am

We are planning a trip to Ontario this coming spring, we will be entering from MN on highway 61 and basically doing the Lake Superior loop exiting at Sault Ste Marie.  The tentative schedule has us entering Ontario around the first couple of days in May, we are hoping to catch the steelhead run on Ontario streams.  I do have several questions I was hoping to see if anyone had any  insight to:

Will the Provincial Parks be open that time of the year?  Will there be many options for RV parks?  Is there any good maps of backroads or side roads to be had?

How difficult is it to find camping areas on the Crown lands?  I will be doing my due diligence, just looking to see if others have experience in this area.

Thanks

Jillh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jillh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 12:45pm
Hi, Here is a link to the Ontario Parks operating dates for 2022.  I'm not sure about Crown Land but there are info groups out there (facebook or otherwise) where people discuss crown land camping, a friend of ours has looked into that for her Vanlife camping trips.  
https://www.ontarioparks.com/operatingdates/2022
Happy travels!
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Olddawgsrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 7:27am
Canada Backroad Mapbook (BRMB) is a great source for most everything backcountry in Canada. I bought into Gaia GPS a few years back mainly because they have BRMB as one of their map filters. 

With that said.. Crown Land is for Canadian Citizens. So if you are not, and approached, you can be asked to leave. Those we have stayed (my wife being Canadian) we have never been approached. Take/use this info as you wish.

We were there early May and not much was open yet.. We bailed on the US side and did the Canadian side on our way back (late June).

Excerpt from my journal: 

May 3rd Friday North Bay Ontario to Sault Ste Marie Michigan. Actually broke 50 today and the sun came out! 

North Bay Lotdock was actually pretty good. Wal-Mart has a fenced in area that they own and the Semi’s can get in there! No engines running all night (which is always the fear at Wally World). Woke to 38F.

RT 17 (the TCH) is still a two lane highway almost all the way to Sault Ste Marie. The few spots that became divided highway was actually disappointing. I really liked the entire drive going through Canada. 

I found an area around Sudbury ON that looked really interesting for boondocking. Real backcountry kinda stuff. Learned a couple hours ago that most is private lands, bummer. Lots of picnic spots along the TCH that are still closed (gated) and saw no signs of restriction of over-nighting. I’ll have to dig into that a bit more..

We decided to grab an established site tonight vs. Lotdocking again. Soo Locks Campground right on the Sainte Mary’s River. This is just below the Locks! $33 for an water/electric site right on the waterfront. Showers, laundry, the usual stuff these places have. Waterfront sites have a bit extra room towards the water (for the extra $3). Dump-station on site. Being there’s only 8 of us here, great spot! Wifi is good, but like I said.. only 8 of us here..

Within a half hour, we saw our first ship pass by. Another that’s been here all day told me none have passed yet. They waited for us! How cool! That ship is up to the locks waiting.. believe there’s another to pass by in the locks. How cool is that? 

Day 3 in the books!

May 4th Saturday Sault Ste Marie to Hurricane River Campground Pictured Rock National Seashore Park North of Munising MI. Day started at 38 rose to 64 and now 4pm at the site 60 and sunny most all day.

Beauty of a day! Sunshine, low winds and plenty to see and do!

Started the day with 4 freighters passing by our campsite. Watched one of them in the locks rise. Next stop was Iroquois Point Lighthouse. Thought not yet open for touring the house, the grounds are open to enjoy. Nice spot! We continued up to Whitefish Point where the Museum is and another Lighthouse. This is the Museum that has the Bell of the Edmond Fitzgerald. In all, remnants of about a dozen lost ships from the area of the point. I felt the pricing was a bit much (though we did it) to tour all the buildings. No discounts at all for anything… We attempted both Lower & Upper Tahquamenon Falls. We were warned that the water level was at a record high and ‘everybody’ is going there to see them. Well, it’s the only place so far that too many folks and over-priced to hike to see a waterfall. We passed..

The drive over to Pictured Rocks National Seashore was more of rather good 2 lane highway. This whole area so far is largely massive bogs! Very nice for wildlife viewing. We called the Ranger Station to find out only Hurricane River is accessible right now. His statement was even the Private parks are not open yet. Since they’re not officially open, it’s a free stay! Sites are small, but I saw a few we could fit into. This place is geared towards tenter’s, but if short, you can fit in.. Just keep that in mind. We own the campground! No one else here so far!

It is an awesome run all through there. June, on our return homeward, was warmer and everything was open! 

Safe Travels!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply