R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

No Antifreeze at all Cold Faucets - Event Date: 14 Nov 2021

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SC for Huskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: No Antifreeze at all Cold Faucets
    Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 2:18pm
Drained all the lines, pumped air for 8-10 mins., shut all faucets, by passed water heater tank, turned pump to antifreeze pickup, started pump, primed, open kitchen hot, got antifreeze so closed, open cold got NOTHING.  Went to the shower, open hot go antifreeze so closed, opened cold and again got NOTHING.  By the way pump only runs when I open the hot.  Same thing happened with outside shower.  On the 2017 172 where can I look for a kink in the main cold water line, or what ya'l think (other than, Here Hold My Beer, LOL) ?
Thanks
Tom
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 5:24pm
I'm not familiar with your particular model-we had a 173 and now a 179. However, most of the plumbing/piping systems are pretty similar. 
It sounds like perhaps the cold water has been shut off at the valves when you bypased the water heater. that's why the pump doesn't come on when you open a cold faucet. I would check all of the valve positions .
This assumes that you had cold water available at both faucets prior to winterizing.
good luck
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 5:28pm
+1

Interesting, you state you use compressed air and were able to purge all H and C lines yet when it comes to filling your lines with antifreeze it only comes through the H lines correct?

From the pump the outgoing line runs to the HW tank and since that is bypassed for winter mode that is the place I would first look to see where the kink is (at the HW tank) and follow the cold line downstream from there.  Double check all lines under the sink near where your pump is, a lot of 'stuff' under there and maybe something inadvertently was moved causing the cold water line to kink.

FYI Compressed air has been used to blow out my 177 for the past 10 winters here in northern Michigan.  Always keeping one faucet open and using 85 psi it takes less than 2 minutes to go through all lines, including the toilet twice.  After that a total of 16 oz. RV antifreeze is used for the 2 sink and 1 shower trap as well as a small amount on the toilet lid to keep the seal moist.  No leaks or breaks.  If you are certain all the water evacuated by using compressed air I see no reason to fill lines with antifreeze.  Just to double check yourself you could unscrew the filter at the water pump to make certain no water is there as well as unscrew your low point drains and check for any residual water there.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SC for Huskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 7:23pm
Thanks for getting back.  I went out and double checked the water heater valves.  Have one white pex incoming to a two-way valve. In one pos it feeds the tank, other runs up to the hot/red side.   There is a one-way which comes of the tank and feeds the Hot /red, but that one i had turned off. So bottom line, white incoming crosses over to red out going.  Now under the sink.  There is the pump and all clear/nylon enforced hose, not pex, which runs out a hole in the floor.  Some where that clear/nylon changes to pex. on cold side. Then it has to split, or Tee, as to feed the water heater and  faucets.  As a side note, useless info,  White pex comes out of floor and feeds kit faucet.  What I can do is start over by hooking up city water, check and make sure everything is working.  Last time sys worked was July, took a trip from Charleston to Coldwater Mich. I wish someone could come up with a good old Navy Plumbing and Electrical diagram book for these Pods.  "Wouldn't it be Loverly?"
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 9:22pm
So what I gather is that it was working properly in July-hot and cold at both bath and kitchen faucets.
It still seems that somehow you have turned off the cold water output line.
again, mine may be different, but In order to bypass the water heater, you turn off the cold input to the heater and turn off the hot output from the heater. You mentioned where the red goes into white piping.then, to suck the antifreeze you have to turn a valve (maybe a 3 way?)to create an intake from the short antifreeze hose. This may be the problem valve.
The pex going into the hole in the floor is the intake hose from the fresh water tank to the pump most likely.
I would suggest that instead of hooking up city water, try putting a few gallons in the fresh water tank and then rework the valves back to original position so that everything works (water coming from both hot and cold at each faucet even though you don't need to actually fire up the heater)and then retrace the winterization process.
One other remark-when you are using compressed air, keep all faucets and low point drains closed except for the one you are clearing.  you fill all of the lines with air and then one at a time blow the line to the kitchen clear by opening the kitchen faucet cold . then close it and open kitchen faucet hot. then move to the bath and follow the same procedure.after you have individually cleared the faucets, then do the toilet and shower.  finally, open the low point drains and fresh water tank drain.
a long process that gets easier every time you do it.
good luck-keep writing up the results
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 5:08am
The non-PEX line at the pump should be the suction line to the pump from the fresh water tank so should not change over to PEX. You should have a two way valve on that line where you can select the hose which is pulling in antifreeze from your bottle. The pump output should be PEX and go to the cold side of the hot water tank as well as to the cold lines.

If everything was working correctly before winterization when you used the pump rather than city water then a kinked line seems unlikely. I'm wondering if one of your bypass valves isnt working or is in the wrong position so the pump is trying to refill the hot water tank with antifreeze. You might try removing the anode again to see if there is antifreeze accumulating in the tank.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply