R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

potential rpod purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote donzoh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: potential rpod purchase
    Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 7:37am
I'm thinking of buying an rpod. One of them that I've seen pictures of lost its axle. It has some scrape damage on the lower side edges and the tires are off of the axle, although I think they were removed after the accident. The axle also has a slight curve to it which I was thinking might have been original and might be a "crown" to deal with trailer weight such that the axle is straight when installed. Also, the triangular tongue is bent upward which would prevent towing unless it can be straightened and made stronger. Does anyone have an idea what would be involved in the repair process here and what damage might have been caused to any parts under the trailer box?
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 7:55am
It'll probably cost more than the trailer is worth if you hire someone to fix it, from what you describe.  If you have metal fabrication skills, it could be a great deal.  You might reach out to Toyanvil to get some advice.  He has done some really great metal work that he's posted on this forum.  

Another thing to consider is you'd probably have a "salvage" title so it could affect resale value.  If you plan on using the trailer until it goes to the travel trailer cemetery, then that'd be no problem.  But, most people end up selling their trailers at some point to get a fancier one, if it turns out they enjoy trailer camping. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
donzoh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote donzoh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 8:16am
I do have some fabrication skills and I'd plan on doing the work myself. It will definitely be a salvage title. BTW, what mileage do you get with the 2.7 ecoboost with and without towing?
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 4:31pm
I've been getting about 24 mpg for regular driving and about 14 towing.  Towing, though depends on both the wind and the weight.  When we moved to CT from NV, I had the truck and trailer loaded to nearly the CGVW and it showed in the mileage.  I got about 13.4 for the trip across the country via I-80.  As for power on that trip, I never felt that I didn't have enough to comfortably go up the steep grades.  I set the cruise control for 60 in tow mode and even on the steepest climbs I was doing not less than 55 without pushing the gas pedal.  

Good luck with your project.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 7:57am
The axles are normally crowned a bit, roughly 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Use a string from end to end on the bottom of the axle and measure the gap in the center. Also mount the wheels and look to see if the wheels are vertical or have a slight positive camber when unloaded.

You need to look carefully at the axle attach points on the frame to see why the axle came off. If the frame is bent or corroded there then I'd run away. The frame is a really thin wall tube (0.1 inch) so there's not much material there to start with. That is also the highest stress area on the frame. If it got bent there then the floor assembly will also likely be damaged.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 9:06am
Unless that trailer is under $500, I'd look elsewhere,
John
'16 R-Pod 180
 Post Reply Post Reply