R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Boondocking Prep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveB1701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boondocking Prep
    Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 1:57pm
I'm purchasing parts over the winter to upgrade to dual 20# propane tanks, with auto-cutover regulator, for my '21 171.  I've been to 'Go Powers' site, ran the power estimate thingy, and w/o A/C (duh), or microwave use it recommended the 'Weekender' suite, single 190 watt panel - priced around 1,650 on Am@zon.

Figure a AGM 100A battery in, and looking at 2 grand total for parts.  I've reached out to my RV sales dealer for install cost, but have not received a reply.  I have the techie knowhow to wire everything up but don't want to be responsible for bolting/gluing/fastening the panel to the roof...

Any insight?

Thanks, Dave
2021 R-Pod 171
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6
Just me & my pooch Mr. Buster...
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 2:36pm
1650 sounds high for the panel to me.  I got a 120 watt fold up unit for about $160.  It easily folds up and can be stored when not in use.  If you are using it only for fan, lights, and TV it seemed to work pretty well for us.
DaveB1701 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveB1701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 2:50pm
The kit includes a 190W roof mount panel, 1500W A/C inverter, auto-cutover switch (for when connected to shore power), a battery charging module, battery monitor panel, solar control panel, 30A fuse assy, and associated wiring, all permanently installed - no setting stuff up, which is what I'm looking for.

Does the 171 have enough roof space for flat mount (behind the A/C,) of a 26.5 inch (front-to-rear) panel???

Thx!
2021 R-Pod 171
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:32am
When installing a solar system everything is a trade off.  First off you need to find out the wattage needs you anticipate then size the system for that.  The first trade off is if you permanently mount the panel to the roof of the trailer then when at your boondocking site you will want the solar panel in the sun shine which means the trailer has to be parked in the sun the majority of the day, just another outcome. 

Secondly the pricing of what you are looking at seems a little steep to me, may want to do some more looking around.  If you have any specific question you can private message me if you care to, hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
DaveB1701 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveB1701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 11:28am
To clear things up, here is the system I'm considering:

Curious if the 60 X 26 1/2" panel will fit SOMEWHERE on the roof of my baby 'Pod, either over the galley front to rear, or behind the A/C unit left to right...I'm aware of placement of the camper in relation to the sun for optimal charging.

Pod is in storage for the winter @ County Fairground facility, so I have no access until April - but only cost $200.00 for 6 months...

Just looking for intel...
2021 R-Pod 171
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:01am
I can't help you with the roof measurements because mine is an older model (179/2019).  Maybe you could talk your way into the storage facility with an 8' stepladder??  The size and type of battery bank will be another important link to your system, so look at that carefully.  The pricing looks pretty good for the system but there will be additional costs, but still it stands now @ about $.86 per watt which is pretty good.  Still it depends on the performance.  You will not be able to run any high draw appliances like the AC, Water heater (on electric), microwave, or fridge (on electric).  Make sure the manufactures stand behind their products even through e-trailer.  Also make sure there are no compatibility issues between the e-trailer system and the type of batteries that you have decided on for use in your battery bank.  This should get you started.
Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 9:47am
$1650 is far far too expensive for a 190 watt module and 1500 watt inverter. You can get modules for around $0.50 per watt, inverters for $0.30, and controllers for $0.20. Homw Depot had a sale on a 400 watt kit for $408 a couple weeks ago for example. I posted a link to it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Blue Ridge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blue Ridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:10pm
For what it’s worth I decided to experiment with solar this past summer w/o spending a bunch of money. I bought a 100 watt solar kit from Harbor Freight for around $170 it included every thing needed to charge my OEM battery on my 2020 RP180. I do not run an inverter so the AC and microwave are unusable but everything else works on 12 VDC. I never saw the battery charge below 75% and most mornings the battery was back to full by 10am, one rainy day it took until 1 pm to reach full charge. We boondocked for 3 weeks straight with out any problems. 
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:37pm
I think OffGrid is right about the price being high for this kit, and I think a high wattage inverter is mostly useless.  I guess if using a hairdryer is that important to you, fine, but everything else can run on 12v.  It might be nice to have solar permanently attached to the roof, but you can get most of the same benefit without much extra effort with a much cheaper solar suitcase from Renogy (or other more or less expensive vendors.)  Plus, they are easily adjustable to maximize solar collection.  As someone else said, everything involves a tradeoff.

About a 2200w inverter generator is, in my opinion, a great part of a boon-docking kit.  You can use the A/C, a hair dryer, the microwave (not all at the same time), and charge your batteries in cloudy weather or at a tree-covered site.  There are cheaper units but Honda and Yamaha are generally top rated and usually the most quiet.  Quiet is worth paying extra for, for your own enjoyment as well as goodwill in the campground, if your boon-docking is in places with other people around.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 4:59pm
I also use a 100W Renogy kit (suitcase style) but they also make them for  permanent mount. For our purposes - keeping a single 12v deep cycle battery fully charged for lights, waterpump, fridge  motor,  furnace blower, etc - 100 watts is more than adequate. Here's a link to a 100 w Renogy rooftop kit, for just over $300. They have 200 W kits for not much more. Each 100W panel is roughly 42x20 inches - x2 if you go for 200 watts. I have a 179 so my rooftop measurements wouldn't be of help to you.

https://www.renogy.com/solar-kits/?keyword=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=solarkit&gclid=CjwKCAiAqIKNBhAIEiwAu_ZLDseoAB3szsGpXhj8QTpeY-Ek15jDFCIVycci4aCl2jD8Janae6ROYRoCOUEQAvD_BwE?sort=bestselling
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>