R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Essential Tools for an RV Toolkit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Susan_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Essential Tools for an RV Toolkit
    Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 1:04pm
I'm putting together my tool kit for my new-to-me 2014 178 HRE. What are your essential/most used tools? Do you have favorite gadgets for specific uses?
2014 R-Pod 178 HRE
2015 Toyota Tacoma 4WD V6
on the beautiful Olympic Peninsula, Washington State
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 4:29pm
#1 is multitester to check battery voltage
#2 floor jack (2 ton) in case of flat, bottle jacks are too tall to fit when tire is flat
#3 appropriate socket for lug nuts on your rpod and ratchet with extension or 4 way lug wrench
#4 tool set from Harbor Freight which includes 3/8 and 1/4 inch sockets/ratchets as well as other specialty bits that come in a handy plastic case
#5 L.E.D. flashlight(s)
#6 plug in tire pump
#7 tire pressure gauge
#8 set of 3 emergency reflectorized triangles in case of breakdown. 
this is only a start of some  basic essentials.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Susan_55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Susan_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 8:03pm
Thanks, Jato. This is a great start. I love Harbor Freight, and one of their tool sets was already on my list. What do you think of this? I like that it's a little smaller and lightweight, but the price makes me think it's cheaply built, even though it gets good reviews. https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-compact-trolley-jack-64874.html
2014 R-Pod 178 HRE
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 9:19pm
I am old school in that if it seems to good of a price to be true . . . .anyway your words are resonating . . .yes probably cheaply built but on the other hand hopefully you won't need to use it very often if at all.  Also purchased a 2 ton trolly jack from HF 6 years ago and paid $ 89 for it.  Pretty nice as it comes in its own plastic case and has been used a lot for changing (summer to snow) tires and rotating them as well.  Works well lifting our Explorer and F-150.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 10:25pm
I was able to avoid carrying a dedicated jack for the trailer once I found that my Highlanders scissors jack did a great job lifting it. It is one of those jacks with a slot to engage a flange on the rocker panel and it worked perfectly to engage the flanges on the rpod axle that attach the axle to the frame. The point is to take a look at your tow vehicle jack to see if it will also work on your trailer before going to the expense and added weight of a floor jack.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Susan_55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Susan_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 10:58pm
My tow vehicle is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4WD V6 with a factory tow package. I'll take a look at the jack. Good thought. Thanks!
2014 R-Pod 178 HRE
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 1:34am
Multimeter
electric screwdriver and adapter to raise/lower stabilizers
2 or 3 sizes of both screwdrivers
Sockets for lug nuts or tire tool
Pliers, wire cutters, wire strippers
emergency crank for electric tongue jack
Small wrench set for "just in case"
Air compressor and tire plugging kit

I've never needed anything else. But, keep good tires and check the pressure often.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1nana2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 6:08am
I will add:
a couple spare light bulbs for light fixtures if not LED
a few of the blade fuses that match the ones in your control panel
I would substitute a battery operated drill with charger for an electric one if you intend to boondock 
A roll of electrical tape and at least a few strips of waterproofing tape like Eternabond
A tube of dielectric grease because sometimes the bulb didn’t burn out, the connection is just bad.
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 6:10am
We also carry some shark bites, a couple feet of pex tubing and a little bit of wire/connectors.
in case of any electrical or water problems.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Susan_55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Susan_55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:09am
Okay, I had to look up shark bites. Big smile The only water problem I've ever had was in my PleasureWay when a feeder line under the sink let go. Luckily I was on my way home so I just let the repair shop be the contortionist on that one. Thanks for all the ideas. Keep 'em coming!

2014 R-Pod 178 HRE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>