This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings All

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote WalleyeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings All
    Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 4:50pm
We just purchased a new 2022 171.  The dealer is hanging on to it for us until spring, so we have some time to plan for options we want to add.

Some of the things we are thinking about:

Tow vehicle is a 2019 F150 XLT w/3.5 liter Ecoboost, Supercrew and Max tow package.  So I have the integrated brake controller and sway control along with about 1700 lbs of payload capacity.  It's a three hour drive to the dealer, so that should give us a feel for how it tows.  Not sure if sway bars will be needed.

Definitely want to add a second propane tank and go with two 6v GC2 batteries in series.  Will have to try to work something out with the dealer on setup for these things instead of having them do a typical setup that I'm just going to take apart.

Then we look for creative ways to add storage!

Looking forward to lots of fun browsing.

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 8:29am
That tow vehicle won't be a problem at all and if you have dual batteries and propane cylinders keeping your tongue weight at least
10% of trailer weight won't be either. What you'll need to watch out for is total trailer weight/trailer axle weight being too high. Rpod axles, wheels, and tires are none too strong.

So weigh the trailer fully loaded inclubd water if you boondock before you add a bunch more storage, you might find you need to put any extra load in the truck bed not the trailer.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Rpod-Couple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpod-Couple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 8:54am
Our 2021 171 is same setup as your 2022 171. I also picked it up 3 hours away with a friends F150. The 171 has 350 lbs hitch weight. Trailer is 2750 lb empty - 13% hitch to weight ratio which makes for smooth towing. You won’t have any sway problems bringing it home.

Happy Camping in 2022!
Steve & Elaine
2021 R-pod
2023 VW Atlas Cross Sport
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 1:50pm
Hi WalleyeGuy. Welcome to the forum. You happen to be in Minnesota? I lived in MN during the last 1/4 of high school and all of college, and my parents were nuts about Walleyed Pike. We lived on the Booming Out Bay part of Gull Lake just north of Brainerd.

We have a very similar truck (2015 edition), and it pulls our 179 with its eyes closed and one arm tied behind its back. No problem at all. I do use a WDH to level out the headlights. I think it makes for a smoother ride too.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
WalleyeGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WalleyeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 2:29pm
We are indeed in Northern Minnesota and do plenty of walleye fishing!

We've been pulling a 20 ft Lund Pro-V around for years, so I'm not too worried about capability as much as characteristics with a single axle.  But I think as long as we focus on proper weight on the tongue we will be fine.

My note on storage is simply that the new 171 really lacks for some basic cabinet/drawer space.  So we will have to get creative with ways to stow clothing, groceries, utensils, etc.  Not so much the heavy stuff, but just basics.

Looking forward to it!

Originally posted by GlueGuy

Hi WalleyeGuy. Welcome to the forum. You happen to be in Minnesota? I lived in MN during the last 1/4 of high school and all of college, and my parents were nuts about Walleyed Pike. We lived on the Booming Out Bay part of Gull Lake just north of Brainerd.

We have a very similar truck (2015 edition), and it pulls our 179 with its eyes closed and one arm tied behind its back. No problem at all. I do use a WDH to level out the headlights. I think it makes for a smoother ride too.

GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by WalleyeGuy

We are indeed in Northern Minnesota and do plenty of walleye fishing!

We've been pulling a 20 ft Lund Pro-V around for years, so I'm not too worried about capability as much as characteristics with a single axle.  But I think as long as we focus on proper weight on the tongue we will be fine.

My note on storage is simply that the new 171 really lacks for some basic cabinet/drawer space.  So we will have to get creative with ways to stow clothing, groceries, utensils, etc.  Not so much the heavy stuff, but just basics.

Looking forward to it!
As far as pulling goes with that rig, all you will notice is that it slows down your zero-60 times, but not a whole lot. That 3.5L ecoboost is a torque monster.

Look around on this forum. There are tons of storage solutions for the various models of R-pods. We divided our "wardrobe" closet into a set of storage shelves and it more than doubled the room we have for clothing.

If you go fishing, I am always happy to see your pix of walleyes! My folks were crazy about walleye, but I was always partial to largemouth bass.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply