R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Collapsible ladder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tulefog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collapsible ladder
    Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 4:32pm
I bought a collapsible ladder to reach the top of the trailer slider.
2021 Rpod 180 2006 Ridgeline

Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 7:17am
Excellent product, very useful!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 11:33am
I hate those. I just don't trust them. Much prefer something like what StephenH uses.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 12:23pm
The average age for ladder falls is 55 and over 83% are male with the USA leading the world in ladder fatalities.  It pays to be very particular about picking reliable ladders with adequate capacity and using them carefully.  I agree with GlueGuy that those telescoping ladders may not be the best choice for safety unless they are EN 131 certified.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 12:52pm
Thankfully my 195 has a ladder on the back, so gaining access to the roof is simple. I wonder why they don't just put them on all models. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 4:07pm
I totally agree about ladder safety but one of these little telescoping ladders that you'd carry for your RPod needs to be about 8 or 10 long at the most.  Yeah, you can break your neck falling off a curb I suppose, but the convenience of something like this while traveling probably outweighs any significant safety concerns.  At least assuming one uses it with a modicum of common sense.

I don't recall ever needing a ladder while on the road, but if I thought it was a good idea to have one just in case, this looks like a great way to go.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Tulefog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tulefog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 4:34pm
I agree safety and its fitness for use should be first concern. My use for it is to inspect and clean off the top of the slider. My other solution is installing a slider cover, which I might try next if it's too time consuming. I get leaves, twigs that get under the rubber seal and let water in.
2021 Rpod 180 2006 Ridgeline

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 5:16pm
I agree on the safety risk ladders pose. I fell off a ladder and broke my hip and elbow, 6 weeks in a wheelchair. Never again.

Many telescoping ladders are poorly rated for safety. There are some that are EN 131 certified as LA suggests. The Telesteps is both EN131 tested and safety approved by Consumer Reports. Expensive but ladders arent a place to go cheap. How much is not having hip surgery and/or months in a wheelchair worth to you?

So if you must get a telescoping ladder that would be a good one. Personally I used a good quality normal stepladder to clear the slide of debris. It fits in my SUV just fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 7:32pm
I took a dive off a scaffold when one of the boards broke.  I was just about 6' above the ground.  It nearly killed me.  I was lucky to have just a broken arm, a torn rotator cuff, and the side of my face smashed in.  $500K in medical bills and 15 years later I still am paying the price.  Short distance falls can be more deadly than people realize.  You don't have time to react and try to come to a manageable landing.  You're on the ground before you even realize what is happening.  

Don't mess with cheap ladders of any kind.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 10:01pm
I checked out some of these ladders on Amazon, just out of curiosity.  Some of them are pretty expensive, but 'not cheap' is probably not the best metric anyway.  You know, things can happen no matter what precautions you take, butjust guessing, inspecting your equipment before each use may have prevented your scaffolding accident.

The OP suggested this ladder for cleaning off the top of his slide-out.  You have to get your feet, what, 3, maybe 4 feet off the ground to do that?  This ladder is probably appropriate for that use.  (He's not suggesting painting second story eaves.)  The OP didn't provide a link to his ladder, but some of them are EN 131 certified and cost over $400.  He did not suggest going out and buying any old piece of crap that sort of looks like a ladder.

Per my previous post, I did trip off a curb a few years ago.  I didn't break my neck, but i did crack a rib which nicked my spleen which almost had to be removed, and I spent most of a week in the hospital.  (I don't remember what I had to laugh about, but I did anyway.  God, it hurt!)   I still step off curbs, I still climb ladders, 18 or 20 feet in the air today, and I just bought some rappelling gear.  Maybe I'm nuts.  And I have always cut my own firewood, out in the woods by myself.  I have the deepest respect for safety and common sense though, and I constantly remind myself not to become complacent about paying attention.  Maybe I'm a lucky idiot, but heck, you take chances when you get out of bed every day, forget about driving to work, or eating food that someone else prepared for you.  One of my minor paranoias is why in the world do we trust people driving on a country two-lane road coming at us at 60 miles an hour at night to stay on their side of the road?!  Day or night for that matter.  All due respect, and sorry for your injuries, but we've all heard horror stories about driving cars that make your scaffolding accident seem minor.  Everything is a risk, but we all make choices, hopefully following safety guidelines and using some intelligence and common sense.

If you don't like ladders don't climb them, no problem. I can't argue against the OPs suggested ladder for the purpose proposed though.

TT

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>