R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Any other 4x4 Frontier Pickup Tow Vehicles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote K0VQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any other 4x4 Frontier Pickup Tow Vehicles?
    Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:38pm
Hello to the group. We just bought our Rpod 192 last fall and haven't had a chance to use it yet but I was wondering how many other owners out there are towing with a Nissan Frontier? I have a 2017 Pro-4X Crew Cab, Century Topper, 4x4 and 4.0L V-6 and automatic with O/D. I know that the listed tow capacity is 6300# per the manual but realistically what does that mean from an actual use standpoint? I usually go for overkill but I wonder what others have had from a practical towing standpoint? We live in and camp mostly in Western Colorado and Eastern Utah (like Moab) so there is a de-rate to a certain extent due to altitude and mountainous terrain. I know its not going to haul down I-70 at 80 MPH which I wouldn't want to do anyhow. But what should I be able to expect? We used to have a Minnie Winnie with a V-10 and it never felt comfortable over 65 MPH due to side winds and truckers passing. So I would expect this is pretty much the same drill? We bought a WDH for the camp trailer so that should be a big help and I have an electric brake controller I use with my Haulmark 6x10. So any comments, suggestions or critiques would be greatly appreciated. Nice to join the club. Tracy A.R.S. K0VQ

BTW, any other hams out there? And any of you put rigs in your Rpod's?
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 4:28pm
Hello Tracy,

NY4NC here. We have the RP179 which we tow with a 2010 Frontier LE Crew Cab 4x4. It is adequate. I limit my speed to 60 mph for the best balance of mileage and getting there. If you already have the brake controller, you are ahead of the game. One thing I would recommend is that you look into installing a set of Sumo Springs.  The rear leaf springs in our frontier were a bit too soft and the SumoSprings (medium, black) firmed it up nicely. I still use a weight distribution hitch, specifically, and Equal-i-zer 600/6,000 lb version), teamed with a Hayes Sway-Master electronic sway control. After encountering ice and having an accident, I take the belt and suspenders approach.

I don't have the radio in the RPod as such. I made a carrier for the IC-7100 I use and that is in the Frontier most of the time. If we are going to be some place for enough time, it is easy to move the radio to the RPod. I have a set of Hamsticks that I use for mobile operation. I use an Eagle One antenna along with an Icom AH-4 tuner for portable (RPod) use. I made two mounts for the Eagle One. The first is a hitch mount. The second is on the tongue of the RPod which makes it easy to set up, strap into place, and then connect. I'm going to have to update my QRZ page which I will do when I have it set up next and can get some good pictures.

Stephen, NY4NC
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:37pm
Hello owners.  About a year ago we purchased a 2020 Frontier with the 3.8 .l and 9 speed transmission to pull a 192.  The 9 speed works very well and the 310 HP 3.8 works good also. To bad the tires on the pod have a speed rating of 75 MPH.  One of the first mods i did was to replace the factory shocks with Bilstein and installed the Firestone air springs on the rear axle. I tried the sumo springs and they were to bouncy and with the air springs you can adjust the height of the bed to factory finder arc height. Next mod it to replace the factory out side morrow with tow mirrors.  I wish they were heated.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 7:09am
1aauto.com is where I got the towing mirrors for our 2010 Frontier. They are heated. I did a search for the 2020 model year, and could not find them. However, they are available for the 2017 model year. https://www.1aauto.com/nissan-suzuki-driver-and-passenger-side-6-piece-mirror-set-trail-ridge/i/trmrp00051/1111785/2017

Given that the body style has not changed for 2020, it is highly likely that the same mirrors would fit the 2020 model.

As for the SumoSprings, I tried the blue light density ones, and then switched to the black medium density ones. I am very happy with them. I did not want to mess with air springs.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
K0VQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote K0VQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:25pm
Hi Stephen, glad to meet you. That's a cool callsign you have! I looked up the sumo springs and they are on backorder so its all academic at this point. I guess I'll do a short trip somewhere close by and evaluate what the issues are and then maybe get some adders like you mention. I run a KW TS-50 with a MFJ travel tuner and G5RV Jr. They work alright. I used to have a flagpole buddy for the Minnie where I used the push up mast for the center of the G5RV below the flag. Maybe I can use the same set up on the 192? Not sure where I will snake the RG-8X in like I had on the Minnie Winnie. That one was a nice little hole in the outside entertainment port where the radio and speakers are which was adjacent to the kitchen table. I guess I could just run it through the sliding window temporarily until I find a place.

The cabinets are so lightly constructed in the 192 that the guy who delivered the camper from KC, KS last fall had several of them falling off the wall when he drug it along I-70 for almost 700 miles! The screws pulled out! I had to back butter them with carpenters glue and longer screws. I bought a brad nailer to fix the trim work around the bed that was falling off. But I guess if you're going to get that weight down 3379# dry, you have to cut some corners somewhere.

There are certainly a lot of nooks and crannies that are hidden from view that could be used for storage but have been intentionally made off limits due to the weight loading I guess? For example, the cabinet under the water heater in the bathroom has a huge void where something could be stored. The same is true next to both sides of the murphy bed. I found the secrets while trying to locate the water pump when I was winterizing last fall. Bingo!

So now all we've got to wait for is getting the snow to melt. Maybe a trip to Moab for the Easter Jeep Safari (https://www.rr4w.com/events.cfm)?

Hope to work you on the air someday soon Stephen. Now I'm looking into alternative power supplies for boondocking. So if anyone has any ideas, jump in and share them. I was thinking of something like a jackery solar generator (or knockoff) with some suitcase panels. I need to run a ventilator and oxygen generator for my CPOD and CO2 retention. Especially at higher elevations. So would love to chat with people in similar boats. I have a small yamaha 1000 watt genset/inverter but I'm sure I would not be very popular with my neighbors running it all night even though it's barely audible.

73 Tracy
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:24pm
I just looked at the 192 floor plan. You could consider using the pass through hatch. You don't have the slide-out that I have. I slid the cables under the base of the slide-out. In any case, you will find a way.

I'll write more later, but we have to go now.

Stephen
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 11:38am
Thank you for the location for the mirrors.  I reviewed the feedback from others that installed them and most had one thing in common was they had to change the wiring.  Did you have an issue with the wiring?
Steve
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 11:52am
No. It was plug and play for me. The only wiring problem I had was that I pinched the wire on one which did not help. I also had to buy a new set when I hit a pole while backing up and broke the passenger side mirror's pivot hinge. That was an expensive mistake for sure.

Now to continue with the remarks about how to get a cable in the RPod, you could use an SO-239 barrel or bulkhead connector mounted somewhere to get the cable inside. You could install one in a location and have a waterproof cap for the outside. Then you would not have gaps for insects or other things to get inside.

Another option is to use a thin pass through cable in the window as you suggested.

MPO is that I would choose one of the SO-239 adapters with a cover. I can see from the comments on Amazon that the Comet version, apart from being quite expensive, is not going to be a good fit with the metal frames of the RPod windows if they are like the ones in our 179.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
K0VQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote K0VQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:48pm
Thanks Stephen, I think you're right. The double female looks to be the best option. And I like the dust cover idea. Inside you can leave the rig and jumper hooked up and just plug in the outside coax to the jack and off to the antenna you go, no matter what it is. Maybe I will find an inconspicuous place somewhere to drill the hole and back butter it with silicone caulk for weather proofing. Perfect solution! 73 Tracy
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:57pm
I used the barrel SO-239 connectors to make a window pass through for my house. I might consider using one to get my antenna cable in the RPod. If so, I might go underneath in a relatively protected space inside a cabinet. The cover would be essential to keep the connector clean and dry. It would take a pretty long one to reach through all the floor layers.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>