R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New Foam for Seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote IdahoBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Foam for Seats
    Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 4:35pm
I want to put new, better foam in my seat cushions before I head out for four and a half months this summer and I'm wondering if anyone else has done that. The cheap foam in the stock cushions packs out and after five years and lots of use just isn't comfortable any more. Any suggestions would be welcome.
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 4:57pm
I bought this on Amazon. Not too expensive and I have been happy wiht it. I went much thicker than the original.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0722P9R35/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Julie
IdahoBoy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdahoBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:13pm
Thanks! I'll check it out. Did you use the original covers?
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:19pm
I did not. Mine was stained from a leaky spoiler. But I learned a no-sew technique that was pretty easy using the plywood from the benches and wrapping the foam like a present. Put the fabric face down on the floor, foam centered on the fabric, and then plywood on top of the foam. Pull the sides of the fabric over the plywood and staple it. Fold the ends just like you would a gift box and then staple them too.
Julie
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 6:41pm
We replaced the foam on our seats after the originals were 7 years old.  Indeed, it is no fun sitting on plywood, especially when you have a 'slab butt' to begin with.  We went to an upholstery store and tried different densities of foam, the thickness remained the same as the original as the upholstery on the original seat covers were still in very good condition. 

Ended up getting one step down from the stiffest, or most dense foam available.  Purchased fall 2017 at a price of $ 80 per seat cushion/we did the removal of the old and install of the new.  Needless to say the new denser foam was significantly heavier than the wimpy wimply original foam.   However, four years later, we are much happier with the change and also note when other campers or podders sit on these, their first reaction is, "Why do these feel so different?"
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 8:10pm
We have a Mill Outlet Village near us that has a foam shop. I got a denser foam and had it cut to shape for me. Putting it in a bag and using a vacuum to pull the air out and shrink it makes it a lot easier to get into the cover. I left the bag in place.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
IdahoBoy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote IdahoBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 12:10pm
Good tip about the bag. It seems most foam comes at 3" thick and my cushions are 3 1/2. Did you find that thickness at your source? 
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 12:31pm
You can always add layers. For example, very high density for the bottom 3", and a lower density for 1-1/2" I top mine with a thin layer of quilt batting which is what the original ones seemed to have used. If you go the layer route, use a spray adhesive like 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive to put them together. If you use it be careful when you put them together to make sure they are aligned. Once put together, you won't get them apart without damaging the foam.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kup-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 4:35pm
Agree with a lot of the comments listed already. 
We replaced the foam during last season and very glad we did.  We went to a foam outlet near us and chose a firmer, denser grade.  Remember to replace the foam of both the seats and the back with the same grade of foam if you still use it as a bed... otherwise you'll have a very uneven mattress.
We also finally replaced the mattress.  The plastic-spring mattress core just wasnt cutting it any more.  We had put a topper on it as well as a cover but the lack of support was starting to bother us.  We ended up going a bit thicker and kept the topper on it as well.  Probably had the best sleep in the trailer ever!

Stephen's trick about vacuum packing the foam to get it in the upholstery is a good one, however it will make the seats less breathable and can be a bit "sweaty" to sit on for long periods.  Admittedly, you will sweat to get the foam in the upholstery, but you'll only sweat once!:-)

One little trick, if you need to cut foam from larger slabs... use an electric knife (you know the ones that were all the rage in every kitchen in the 70's and 80's)... they make a nice even cut through foam! 
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
 Post Reply Post Reply