R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Generator Quiet Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote WalleyeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator Quiet Box
    Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 7:19pm
Anyone here ever build a soundproofing box for a generator?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:35am
Since most of the noise is from the exhaust a box is likely to do more harm than good. You could easily overheat the gen and void your warranty. I'd suggest getting an audio db meter and try testing the noise level with and without some temporary panels placed around the generator, far enough away from it not to cause overheat (several feet at least). See if you can make a significant reduction that way. The other thing is to bring a heavy gauge 100 ft extension cord and place the generator out as far as possible with the exhaust pointing away from you and neighboring campsites.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:40am
My (former) brother-in-law built a special shed for his diesel generator. It was water-cooled, so he set up a the radiator and fan outside the shed. Then he ran the exhaust through a baffled chamber that was at least 20 feet long made out of concrete. That chamber went into a large tube that was routed underground, and exited a ways away from the shed. The shed itself was heavily sound insulated with sound absorbing mats. The whole thing was remarkably quiet. You could not hear the generator until you opened the (sound-insulated) door.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 11:50am
I have a built in geny for 8 years and have no problems. The noise is reduced by more then half, and vibration is almost nothing.  

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 12:14pm
Marwayne, Your builds never fail to impress me.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
WalleyeGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote WalleyeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 4:42pm
Nice... What do you do to counter-balance all that weight on the back?

Originally posted by marwayne

I have a built in geny for 8 years and have no problems. The noise is reduced by more then half, and vibration is almost nothing.  

marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:25pm
This is the counter weight

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 4:13am
Marwayne, I have the same generator. When I measured mine with my db meter under near full load I found that most of the noise emanated from the exhaust. How did you measure your 50% noise reduction? Did you do something to reduce exhaust noise?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
marwayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote marwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 11:24am
i built a box that is insulated with insulated baffles inside and the exhaust is diverted to the ground.

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 7:22am
Thanks Marwayne, that exhaust baffling us bound to help a lot Do you have a db meter you can take so w readings with for comparison? One thing I noticed with my Honda 2k is that while it's pretty quiet on eco at low loading it's quite loud spooled up under full load (like running the a/c. I doubt it's really any quieter that a non inverter generator under those conditions.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>