R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Furnace help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Maddoxjprice View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace help
    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 11:52am
OK, I just turned it back on. It seems to be alright now. It's mostly blue with the occasional flick of yellow.
Maddox Price
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 11:25am
The flame might have a bit of yellow, but it should be mostly blue. If there is a lot of yellow and little or no blue, then that is a sign that it is not getting enough air. Perhaps the best way to say it is that it should appear as mostly blue, possibly with yellow tips, much like the stove flames when it is working properly.

As for the 2 minutes, it doesn't take long to purge the line for the furnace because it takes so much propane. If at the end of the 2 minutes, it was still mostly yellow, then It is possible that the pipes are partially blocked. Please do get it checked out for safety and for your peace of mind. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:50am
Well that's good to know because the flame was not blue. But I only had it on for like 2 minutes so maybe the line was just getting flushed out?
Maddox Price
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:38am
It would seem to be a moot point for DIY. Truma does not even list the Combi on their online shop, only the Lamella (duct end caps). 

As for using a furnace that has not been run in a while, I agree with JR. If visual inspection does not reveal any obstructions in the intake/outlet tubes and if the flame burns blue (clean), then it is likely okay. If you really feel uncomfortable with it, take it to an RV service place and have it inspected. It would be worth the expense for your peace of mind.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:32am
Since you can remove both the furnace and the water heater I think there should be plenty of room for it plus some ducting to keep the inlet and outlet separated enough. Perhaps outlet under the table and inlet forward in the under bed space in the 179? You could use aircraft SCAT tubing for the outlet ducting, good for up to 500F temps.

As long term DIYers neither of us are likely put off by warranty disclaimers like that, pretty much anything we do is at our own risk anyway.   

There are multiple videos on DIY installs of the Truma system on YouTube.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:31am
With the furnace lighting and operating it should be good to go but make sure you have a blue flame (it's getting enough oxygen for proper combustion) and check the exhaust ports making sure that there are no mud dobber nests, spider webs. or any other type of obstructions.  That's the first thing I would be checking.  Hope this helps
Jay

179/2019

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:06am
Another question for those of you still following this, should I be concerned about using a furnace that has not been run in over 6 years? Id there something I can do to make sure it's running correctly? To be honest, I've been worried about using it, since ya know, there's a flame happening under my bed. lol
Maddox Price
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:52am
Truma Combi looks interesting, but the down side is that it appears to be ducted. It also looks like it would not really be something that could be retrofit into the RPod by me as Truma disclaims all responsibility for any units sold that were not through their dealers and installed by them (interpreted as they want to keep the price high). It is probably best in a unit designed to take advantage of it.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:20am
You might want to check out the Truma Combi system. Most of the higher end small RVs seem to be using that system now.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 7:38am
Ultimately, I would like to eliminate the furnace and go with the hydronic system that has been written up. However, I have not gotten around to finding a heater core to use.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>