R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Furnace help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace help
    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 6:53pm
Great news! I reached out to my friend who used to own it and she directed me to the strage compartment and I found it! She also told me she never used the furnace in the entire 6 years she had it. She just used a space heater. But when I turned it on it seems fine. A little noisy but I can see the flame and smells like any other heater that hasn't been turned on in a while. No gas smell. I just bought a new gas detector and carbone monoxide detector as well.
Maddox Price
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 7:03pm
That is great news. Congratulations on your "new to you" RPod. I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 7:11am
Originally posted by StephenH

Originally posted by offgrid

OTOH a baffle redirecting the air out firm under the bed is not needed. If it was then it would have been put there at the factory. The gap between the floor and the bed is huge and allows for plenty of air convection into the room. Just don't fill it up under there with stuff and you will be fine.
Here is where I would disagree with you. I built a diverter (not a baffle) for our RPod 179. It makes a big difference by diverting the heated air so it is better distributed throughout the cabin. I used to use a fan to help for this, but it is no longer needed with the diverter. Given that my DC to DC charger would be directly in the path of the hot air from the furnace, having the diverter is useful to ensure that it does not get overheated. Plus, I can safely put things in the empty space that otherwise would not be usable. I'm not saying to fill it up. There still needs to be room for return air flow, but some of the space can be used, even for items that might be heat sensitive. It might not strictly be needed, but it is a very good modification to make that some might find very desirable for the better heat distribution.
Edit: Just because the factory did not include it does not mean that it isn't needed. There are lots of modifications I have made that the factory did not include because it made things easier or better (in my opinion). Forest River is not necessarily going to put some items on because they want to keep the cost low. It just means that we get to do the modifications if we want to improve things.

I was trying to minimize the OP's efforts to get their trailer furnace system working. In that context a custom furnace diverter is certainly not needed. The vast majority of owners, myself included, don't have one are are just fine without it.

The gap under the bed is plenty big enough for natural convection to work fine transferring heat into the room. The temp under there will be a little warmer than the room but that won't result is any noticeable reduction in heating efficiency, the warmth will still find it's way into the room no problem. I personally found the space under there being warmer to be beneficial, I'd place my wet boots and clothing under there and it would dry them more quickly. I never noticed any significant cold or hot spots in the room that would require active fan operation to levelize.

I suspect that perhaps what you are perceiving as improved efficiency from a diverter is just more rapid injection of heat into the room when the heater turns on. That could actually be a disadvantage by shortening the heating cycle, which is already too short to be efficient (large heater small room). I kept bottled water under there to provide some warm thermal mass to lengthen the furnace cycle.

That being said if you like having a diverter, or have some electronics under there that is heat sensitive feel free. Just be sure it's not reducing the effectiveness of the cover and causing short circuiting of hot outlet air back into the furnace inlet. Other than that, it causes no problems that I can see.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 7:38am
Ultimately, I would like to eliminate the furnace and go with the hydronic system that has been written up. However, I have not gotten around to finding a heater core to use.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:20am
You might want to check out the Truma Combi system. Most of the higher end small RVs seem to be using that system now.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:52am
Truma Combi looks interesting, but the down side is that it appears to be ducted. It also looks like it would not really be something that could be retrofit into the RPod by me as Truma disclaims all responsibility for any units sold that were not through their dealers and installed by them (interpreted as they want to keep the price high). It is probably best in a unit designed to take advantage of it.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Maddoxjprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:06am
Another question for those of you still following this, should I be concerned about using a furnace that has not been run in over 6 years? Id there something I can do to make sure it's running correctly? To be honest, I've been worried about using it, since ya know, there's a flame happening under my bed. lol
Maddox Price
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:31am
With the furnace lighting and operating it should be good to go but make sure you have a blue flame (it's getting enough oxygen for proper combustion) and check the exhaust ports making sure that there are no mud dobber nests, spider webs. or any other type of obstructions.  That's the first thing I would be checking.  Hope this helps
Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:32am
Since you can remove both the furnace and the water heater I think there should be plenty of room for it plus some ducting to keep the inlet and outlet separated enough. Perhaps outlet under the table and inlet forward in the under bed space in the 179? You could use aircraft SCAT tubing for the outlet ducting, good for up to 500F temps.

As long term DIYers neither of us are likely put off by warranty disclaimers like that, pretty much anything we do is at our own risk anyway.   

There are multiple videos on DIY installs of the Truma system on YouTube.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:38am
It would seem to be a moot point for DIY. Truma does not even list the Combi on their online shop, only the Lamella (duct end caps). 

As for using a furnace that has not been run in a while, I agree with JR. If visual inspection does not reveal any obstructions in the intake/outlet tubes and if the flame burns blue (clean), then it is likely okay. If you really feel uncomfortable with it, take it to an RV service place and have it inspected. It would be worth the expense for your peace of mind.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>