R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Furnace help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace help
    Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 9:50am
Well that's good to know because the flame was not blue. But I only had it on for like 2 minutes so maybe the line was just getting flushed out?
Maddox Price
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 11:25am
The flame might have a bit of yellow, but it should be mostly blue. If there is a lot of yellow and little or no blue, then that is a sign that it is not getting enough air. Perhaps the best way to say it is that it should appear as mostly blue, possibly with yellow tips, much like the stove flames when it is working properly.

As for the 2 minutes, it doesn't take long to purge the line for the furnace because it takes so much propane. If at the end of the 2 minutes, it was still mostly yellow, then It is possible that the pipes are partially blocked. Please do get it checked out for safety and for your peace of mind. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Maddoxjprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 11:52am
OK, I just turned it back on. It seems to be alright now. It's mostly blue with the occasional flick of yellow.
Maddox Price
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 12:23pm
It sounds okay then. Just keep an eye on the openings on the outside to make sure wasps or other insects are not getting in there and building nests/webs that would block the airflow. I added screens to the outside of mine to prevent that. I also put them on the water heater vents and the refrigerator vents. 

These will work for the furnace and water heater:

These will work for the refrigerator:

Note: I had purchased the longer ones and just cut them to fit. I did not see the shorter ones. If you want, you can make your own and save money, but these are convenient.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 12:29pm
I will definitely go check the opening on the outside before it starts snowing. I bought this Pod from a friend and she used it for a few years then just let it sit unattended at her parents farm for 2 years. When I got it, it was filthy on the outside. And I had to get the a/c unit professionally cleaned. So who knows what it looks like in there. I've never opened it.
Maddox Price
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 12:31pm
Well, the furnace is not something you can open. However, you can take a flashlight and look in the air intake and the exhaust ports. The water heater is a different thing. You can open that cover and look inside. Once you take the cover off, you can shine a light in there as well to see at least part of the water heater flue.

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 12:36pm
Noted, thanks so much!
Maddox Price

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 12:39pm
The hot water heater seems to be working fine but the water that comes out smells like turkey grease. 🤣🤣
Maddox Price
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 1:39pm
HMMM. There are a couple of things to check. What is the water quality when cold? Are you connected to the city water connection or are you using from the tank? If from the tank, did you sanitize it? Actually, the whole water system should be sanitized at least once a year using bleach. This product will not sanitize, but would probably improve the taste of the water. Note that you do need to flush the system twice after using this:

De-winterizing involves of course adding water to the fresh water tank along with chlorine bleach (straight bleach, no additives) or equivalent source of chlorine 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of tank capacity mixed with water is needed. Fill the tank part-way, then add the bleach solution. Finish filling the tank.  Pump this through the lines until you smell chlorine at each faucet, then top off the tank and let it sit overnight or for 8 hours. This sanitizes the tank and water lines. After allowing time for the chlorine to sanitize the lines, open the drain and/or pump the chlorinated water from the fresh water tank and refill it. If desired, add  baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to the tank. Pump it through the lines and top off the tank. Let it sit for a while, then pump out the tank or open the drain and let it run out. Then refill the tank with fresh water. You should notice very little, if any, residual taste from the antifreeze if you used that for winterizing. You could use that water to flush the system and drain it and then refill with fresh water if you notice any residual taste.
That is what I do in the spring when I think it is safe to dewinterize.

One other thing. Make sure you have turned the water heater off. Let it cool. Open faucets to relieve any pressure on the system. Using a 1-1/16" socket, remove the anode rod and inspect it. Replace if it is down to the center rod or even if it has just a little of the material left. At the same time, flush any residue out of the water heater tank. Use Teflon tape when you reinstall the old anode rod or install a new anode rod to make it easier to remove the next time you need to do so.  See this post for pictures that will be helpful:

StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 3:29am
Originally posted by StephenH

It would seem to be a moot point for DIY. Truma does not even list the Combi on their online shop, only the

Truma is trying to maintain strict distribution channel control but that is very difficult for manufacturers to do in the internet age. You used to be able to find their units on ebay but I didn't see anything right now. Not a big surprise with so many products from most all companies currently backordered or out of stock. If you were seriously interested I'd suggest checking the online sites on a regular basis and being patient. They were never cheap though, IIRC around $2k.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>