R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

To buy or not to buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote RedHotz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To buy or not to buy?
    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:17pm
Hello all, new to the forum and I have the opportunity to buy a 2016 RPod 183. I have contemplated an RV for a while now and this just popped up. I’ve done a little bit of research but not ready to pull the trigger. I was looking for any wisdom you all may have to push me in the right direction.
Red Hotz
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:54pm
I believe it is a 183G that has the rear garage.  Big thing is to look for any water damage, look for delamination, discolored ceiling or wall areas, inspect storage areas for discolored luan/plywood that would also indicate water damage.  Are wheels straight or do they camber inward at the top of the wheel?  If camber is noted you may have a bent axle.  Check all appliances and make sure they are functional: A/C, furnace (both on propane and 120v), hot water tank (both on propane and 120v), Dometic refrigerator (battery, propane, and 120v).  Make sure all interior and exterior lights work as well as tail-lights when the 7 pin Bargman plug is hooked to your tow vehicle.  Plumbing, check all outlets as well as toilet.  Walk over all parts of the floor to make sure there are no 'soft' spots.  Look under mattress also for water damage or leaks alongside sides of mattress or underneath.  If the interior and exterior are clean - good chance previous owner(s) took good care of it.  Also get up on top and look at all seals around A/C, F/F, antenna, and vent stack as well as around the spoiler.  Last thing I think of is to visually inspect the 1" wide black rubber material that runs from the front to the rear of the 183G on both sides, make sure it is not cracked and intact.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
RedHotz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RedHotz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 4:06pm
Yes this is the 183G.  Thank you for all of the details, it is much appreciated.  Clearly you are familiar.
Red Hotz
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 4:13pm
Ours is older but these are things to look for when purchasing used.  Also check to make sure your breakers work, and there are no red lights on the 12v side of the converter, indicating a bad fuse.  Also when you plug in to shore power, with a auxiliary battery hooked up, you should hear the fan on the converter running indicating it is functional and charging the battery.   If not, either the battery is fully charged (12.72v or better) or the converter is not working as it ought.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 7:15am
+1 to Jato. 1st priority is no water damage, followed by the second which is no water damage, and the third is...no water damage.

Everything else is fixable relatively easily. Water damage can quickly result is a junk trailer.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
RedHotz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RedHotz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:09pm
Good advice.  Thank you.
Red Hotz
 Post Reply Post Reply