R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Registration/inspection specifications

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Registration/inspection specifications
    Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 4:58pm
I've been living in a 2012 177 for a few months now at an RV park. The park requires that the registration be up to date, but they are VERY lax about that. No one here has said anything to me about it. I bought this Pod from a friend but the registration/inspection has been out for 3 years. There's a lot of wear and tear on this little Pod and was just wondering what it'll need to pass inspection. I don't want to take it anywhere and then find out it needs a lot done first. I am in Texas and was reading the requirements. It says something about trailers weighing less than 4,200lbs don't need certain things? And where do I even take it to? My friend has still yet to pass over the title (which I'm pretty peeved about). And I know I need that for sure -- it's also a requirement of the RV park. I'm just so new to trailer life and feel lost.
Maddox Price
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 5:55pm
It appears that trailers under 7,000 pounds don't have to be inspected in Texas. In order to register a used trailer less than or equal to 4,000 lbs. gross weight, you need the Bill of Sale + Registration Receipt.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers

If you were to get an inspection, this is what they inspect. But your trailer shouldn't require this.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectioncriteria.aspx

What's Inspected by Vehicle Type

Items of Inspection for a Trailers or Mobile Homes

Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 7,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 7,500 pounds)
2. Tires
3. Wheel Assembly
4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
5. Tail Lamps (2)
6. Stop Lamps (2)
7. License Plate Lamp (1)
8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
9. Turn Signal Lamps
10. Clearance Lamps
11. Side Marker Lamps
12. Side Reflectors
13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number
15. Window Tint.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
Maddoxjprice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Maddoxjprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 6:07pm
Oh, that's great! I do not have a bill of sale though and am currently patiently waiting for my friend to transfer the title. 😡
Maddox Price
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 4:57am
Most states have some way of obtaining title to a vehicle you own but don't have supporting documents for. Read this:

TX bonded title procedure
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 7:05am
Maddoxjprice, sounds like your "friend" may not so friendly.  The longer you wait to get this fixed, the more complicated it will become.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply