R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

32” TV mod with 12vdc converter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rpod190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 32” TV mod with 12vdc converter
    Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 12:23am
Added a Samsung 32” tv and purchased a 12vdc to 19vdc inverter to run off grid while traveling and stopped at travel stops. The inverter is from lowes. I tied directly down to the 12vdc buss with a inline fuseholder and a 3 amp fuse. I had to drill out the wall mount to accommodate the larger screws. The tv is similar in weight to the original. I added an amazon hdmi to iphone adapter so we can watch youtube on the new big screen. The tv was a freebie from a campground. I had to run a separate cable back out for now until i find out why the cable inout on my rpod190. Others have expressed similar issues and i will update this spring when i return and troubleshoot.

My image is to large to update. The amazon inverter is xw-12-19-76w   4 amp
Wynnster
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 5:50am
I looked up that device and it appears to be a 12V to 19V DC to DC converter, not an inverter, which provides an AC output. I expect that your TV requires 120 Vac to operate. If so then the converter you have won't work for your application. Also if you really need 75W for our TV then you would need at 7A to 10A fuse and 16 gauge wire for the 12V supply side input to that.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
rpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpod190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 12:23pm
Thanks for the fast replay. To be sure I do not damage anything or have a fire ( 4 amp fuse), i rechecked. The 110vac power pack is a 110vac 1Amp in to 19vdc @2.53amps out.
I rechecked the inverter, it is a DC to DC inverter 12vdc in 19vdc out at 4amps. I like the 50% margin it will provide. I will be hooking it up and testing it this week and will get back as to the heat it generates and actual current.
Keep me on my toes, I need all the help I can get!
Wynnster
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 2:59pm
As a note.. almost all modern TVs are actually 12-24v DC. They either have an external or internal, converter.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 3:07am
Yes 19Vdc is a typical display voltage. What I didn't pick up on the first time round is that you are replacing an external 120vac to 19vdc power supply with a 12vdc to 19vdc DC to DC converter, which will connect to the same power port on the TV. That should work fine. Do confirm the polarity on the connector is right.

The 3 amp input fuse might be a little small, if you really need 2.35A out to the TV at 19V that's 45 watts. 45 divided by 12 is 3.75A in. Add around 25% for inefficiency in the converter and you have 4.5A. Normal practice is to add another 25% to prevent hot fuses and nuisance fuse blows and you're at 5.6A. The next highest fuse size is 6A for the AGC style glass tube fuses if that's what you're using, but either 5 or 6A is probably fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
rpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpod190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 6:26am
Thank you for the valuable information!! I have an assortment box coming from Amazon and I will go with the 5 amp fuse because it is in the selection. I will test it for heat. and update. Thank you again.
Wynnster
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 7:45am
Looking forward to your report in how it all works out!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply