R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Solar generators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar generators
    Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 8:51am
Wanted to give you all an update on what I decided. Thanks for all of the information and advice! I decided to forgo the Jackery solar generator and add a portable solar panel kit to the mix. I skipped the solar port on the backend of the R179 and set up a quick disconnect at the battery bank (two batteries and yes, I have an inline fuse Smile). I also installed a Renogy 1000 watt pure sine inverter along with a fuse and battery disconnect in the storage compartment at the front of the R179. I added two outlets with USBs in the trailer, one by the bed along with the inverter's remote control and one in the kitchen. Everything seems to work as planned. Batteries charged up fine in the weak February sun in New Mexico. The 1000 watt inverter runs our small, 4 cup coffee pot and charges our electrical devices which is all we wanted to do in the first place. Taking it all out in a couple weeks camping in the Southern desert in New Mexico but still taking the generator just in case. Big smile

Gino
2017 R179
2016 Frontier SV
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 11:59am
Sounds like you have it covered!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 7:20pm
Good. I am glad you found a workable solution. I look forward to reading how it works out during your upcoming trip.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
LongRanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LongRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by gpokluda

Wanted to give you all an update on what I decided. Thanks for all of the information and advice! I decided to forgo the Jackery solar generator and add a portable solar panel kit to the mix. I skipped the solar port on the backend of the R179 and set up a quick disconnect at the battery bank (two batteries and yes, I have an inline fuse Smile). I also installed a Renogy 1000 watt pure sine inverter along with a fuse and battery disconnect in the storage compartment at the front of the R179. I added two outlets with USBs in the trailer, one by the bed along with the inverter's remote control and one in the kitchen. Everything seems to work as planned. Batteries charged up fine in the weak February sun in New Mexico. The 1000 watt inverter runs our small, 4 cup coffee pot and charges our electrical devices which is all we wanted to do in the first place. Taking it all out in a couple weeks camping in the Southern desert in New Mexico but still taking the generator just in case. Big smile

Gino
2017 R179
2016 Frontier SV
Curious how your trip with the new solar setup went?
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 4:12pm
Hi Lone Ranger
I was just going to post some musings as we finished up a round of campground and dispersed camping in Northern New Mexico before winter arrives in the mountains. It has been about 8 months since we outfitted the 179 with an 1000W inverter, new group 24 DC batteries (2) and a GoPower 130 portable solar kit. My goal was to be able run our small coffee maker and charge phones and other devices without having to lug the generator around.

So far after roughly 7K miles of traveling including a loop up around the Pacific Northwest and back, I have to say that the setup met expectations. However, unless I get more battery capacity and more solar panels, my generator will always be in the back of my truck. While I have no statistics to measure, my gut tells me that the solar setup probably provided less than 10% of the power used while the generator supplied the rest. A lot of this is due to where we camp in the summer months, forested mountains where our panels rarely had access to direct sunlight and usually only supplied 5-7amps to the cause. So, in addition to having a generator (which weights about 35lbs), I also had 30+lbs of solar panel in the truck. No matter how you look at it, the value proposition isn't there. 

Where the panels do come in handy is when the 179 is in storage. I no longer have to remove the batteries as I just set up the panels and have the sun keep them topped for me.

We will now switch to our winter camping mode and head south to the deserts until April. With fewer trees and more access to clear sky, I hope the panels perform better but with a lower sun angle, I'm not holding my breath. All in all it was a fun experiment but I am not completely sold on solar and RVs yet.

FWIW, I originally was looking at Jackery solar generators. While they may not have met my use case, we sure have seen a lot of them this summer and fall. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
LongRanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LongRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 4:59pm

No matter how you look at it, the value proposition isn't there. 

Thanks. That answers a lot of my questions. I've been iffy on trying the solar. Think I'll stay with the tried and true for now.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 4:09am
7 amps is all you should ever expect to get from a 110 watt solar module. Solar modules are tested and rated full sun conditions at room temperature. As soon as you take them outside and put them in the sun they heat up. Power output goes down about 0.5% per degree C temp rise, and under full sun the module temp will rise by around 25-30 deg C. So out of the gate you will lose around 15%, more on a hot day of course. So at a normal charge voltage of around 14 volts you might get 110x85%/14= 6.7 amps. And that's under perfect conditions, no shade of any kind,  perfectly clear sky, module pointed directly at the sun.
 No one should be surprised if they rarely see more that 5 or 6 amps out if a 100 watt solar module. 

That being said, I disagree with the suggesting that solar might not be tried and true. It is far more reliable than any other power source you could own. There's really nothing to go wrong, you just have to understand want it does and doesn't do. Set up your solar module facing south in a shade free location at a tilt angle of around your latitude minus 15 degrees  pretty much anywhere in North America in the summer months and you'll get on average at least 4 hours of equivalent full sun. So that's around 25-30 amp hours per day into your battery. That's enough for most folks boondocking if they're careful in their electricity use and don't expect to run air conditioners or microwaves or coffee pots or other heavy load ac appliances. 

If you get a string of rainy days, you'll either need a generator or a large enough battery to get you through the cloudy period. How big? Around 4 days autonomy. So if you're using 25 amp hours a day you'll need around 100 amp hours available capacity, or around 200 amp hours rated capacity if using lead acid, maybe 120-130 ah if using lithium. You should still set up you solar though, even on a cloudy day you can get 1 or 2 sun hours, so that's 6-14 amp hours, which could up to double your boondock time.   

Camping under trees with no sunny spot for your module?  Bring that generator or enough battery capacity to last you through your boondock period. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 3:27pm
My Jackery can run my coffee maker effortlessly. I use it mostly for coffee, and T.V. at night. It works great and 200 watts of solar panel, I can top off the jackery fairly easily. I too will be hauling my Generator around for a while till I figure out exactly how to make everything work the way I want. Luckily, I already had the genny's so no biggie. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 5:09pm
@mjlrpod, what size Jackery did you get. I was looking at the 1500 when I started this experiment. How are the solar panels holding up. A couple of folks that I had talked to who had Jackerys said that it doesn't take a lot of wind to start moving them around.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 5:37pm

@mjlrpod, what size Jackery did you get. I was looking at the 1500 when I started this experiment. How are the solar panels holding up. A couple of folks that I had talked to who had Jackerys said that it doesn't take a lot of wind to start moving them around.

I have the 1000 explorer. I felt the 500 extra that the 1500 put out wasn't worth the cost. Your mileage may vary. The panels are pretty light, but so far I havent had any issue. Granted I've only charged it up a few times so far, I got it about a month ago, and camping season is close to done. I will still use it this winter I think. As a back up system at a minimum. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>