This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New RP178

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BuffaloRP178 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RP178
    Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 5:36pm
Picked up a well kept, little used 2014 at the end of January.  Planned to try a few snowshoeing boondocking dry runs but sub-zero temps & wind have hampered that.  

Looking forward to getting "Ribbet" out of the pole barn to see some action soon.  Also to overnights this summer with our grandson.  This will be new to us as we've been canoeing & camping with tents in the BWCA for years.  
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 8:04pm
Congratulations on your 'new' 178.  I don't mind it when temps are in the 40's but when it gets colder than that, I am a wimp and would rather stay home.  We usually boondock and hearing the propane heater run most of the night - well - just saying, sleep escapes me.  Plus to keep condensation down we keep the FF about 1/2" open as well as both windows on either side of the bed about 1/4" so it seems like we are heating the outdoors as much as inside the pod.  A couple years ago it dropped down to 20 when we were out and about, even though it seemed like the furnace ran all night, I didn't sleep a whole lot, especially with the wind howling outside.  Fortunately the battery held up (each of our 12v batteries will usually give 3 days worth) as well as the furnace.

Nevertheless this is how great memories are made.  Hopefully you will make a myriad of memories in the future with your 178.  Welcome to your 24/7 owners manual.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 7:01am
Probably it goes without saying but at sub-freezing temps you need to leave the rpod winterized There is no insulation for the plumbing. You can withstand a few hours at night down into the 20's at night as long as it gets well above freezing in the daytime and the interior is getting heated but that's about it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
BuffaloRP178 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote BuffaloRP178 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 8:41am
Thanks.  The previous owners winterized it & it will likely stay in that condition until Memorial Day in Minnesota! WinkSmile

Still looking to get out prior to that.
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 4:23pm
We had one sales guy confirm that you can safely camp down to 10 without freezing pipes since it has a covered underbelly.  I find that hard to believe but know some have a heat duct that keeps things above freezing that way.   Not sure my 192 does so I'm fretting this weekend.  Supposed to be in the upper teens I think.

Post Options Post Options   Quote BuffaloRP178 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 1:14pm
My 62 years of living in MN & experiencing freezing pipes lends me to you go with your hard to believe theory & experience over the sales guy talk.  Wink

Better safe than sorry.  Upper 40's in MN now so feeling we're getting closer to a maiden voyage!!  We're also aware of the reality of it being mid-March in MN. Big smile 
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by BuffaloRP178

This will be new to us as we've been canoeing & camping with tents in the BWCA for years.  

We moved from tent camping to the Rpod also.  What a step up in luxury!

My sister lives in Buffalo.  We visited with the Rpod, and got our tires rotated at Lake Region Coop.  Great service!

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 1:46pm
We crossed the Rockies on i-80 last year in late April and ran into about 20 hours of temps around 10 - 18℉.  The bottom of the trailer is enclosed with a so called "Arctic Package" and has a small heater duct blowing warm air into the tank area.  We kept the furnace set around 60℉ while we were in those temperatures traveling and a little warmer when we stopped for the night.  The only thing that froze were the low point valves and the little bit of pipe sticking out under the trailer where the valves were attached.  As soon as we got into Nebraska and hit above freezing temps, the valves thawed out and were not damaged.  

I had checked he forecast before we crossed and it was supposed to be warmer, but in that part of the country, forecasts have a pretty wide margin of error.  We were fortunate not to have damaged anything, but at least now I know that we can deal with temperatures colder than we would have dared in our 172.  Since our Sonoma is a FR product, I imagine they construct the 190 enclosed bottoms similarly.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Post Options Post Options   Quote BuffaloRP178 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 1:17pm
Small world!

Post Options Post Options   Quote BuffaloRP178 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 1:00pm

Finally out of the pole barn & washed on a 50 degree day!  De-winterize when we get a week above freezing Cool  Have had a few cups of Joe to test it out.  Can't wait to hit the road!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>