R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh water tank sanitation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Linward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh water tank sanitation
    Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 12:06pm
I have never used our fresh water holding tank on our r-pod 196; we have always been in parks that had an external water source.  My question is should we still bleach sanitize the holding tank and lines when we de-winterize the trailer this spring?  
It's all about choices.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 12:44pm
In a word, yes. Even though you have not used it, you may wish to use it and the water system for external and the tank is not entirely separate. Sanitizing also sanitizes the water lines, making sure nothing nasty is growing in there that could make you sick. It is a good idea to sanitize the water system. It is also a good idea to have at least a few gallons in the tank for emergency stops, such as when you really need to get to a rest area and there are none available for the next 60 miles or more.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Linward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 3:02pm
Thank you StephenH for your reply.  Your idea of keeping a few gallons in the tank is brilliant; I would not have thought of that.  So, as I understand the sanitation process; I just fill the water tank 1/3 full, add 1/2 cup of bleach and then fill the tank the rest of the way.  Next I turn on the water pump and run the bleach water through the lines including the toilet I assume.  Should I leave the bleach water in the tank and lines for a period of time before dumping it?
Also, should I repeat the flush with fresh water afterwards or allow it to remain in the lines?  Appreciate your help.
It's all about choices.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 3:13pm
You got the first steps (fill part-way, add bleach, fill, pump, through the lines) just fine. After pumping through, top off the tank and let it sit for at least 8 hours.

Since this will be a much higher concentration of chlorine than you would want to drink, please do empty and fill with fresh water. Flush that through the lines to purge the excess chlorine. Then you can drain and fill, even if only a few gallons, for regular use. I have dissolved some baking soda in water and used it in the tank when purging the chlorine to help eliminate the chlorine taste. However, if you have no intention of drinking that water, it can be used for flushing and likely, even showers. However, you can purge the lines when you get to your destination and connect up to the park water supply and leave the chlorinated water in the tank to help reduce the possibility of algae growth.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 3:25pm
I also don't use the f/w tank water very often, but I always have ten or more gallons on hand. Bathroom breaks while traveling, etc.. I would definitely agree that you want to sanitize the f/w system. I also put a monthly water purification treatment in each month. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Linward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 6:09pm
Again, thank you StephenH and also to you mjlrpod for your informative replies.  I must admit I have one most inquiry. This is regarding the bypass valves to the hot water heater.  On the stopcocks I have used at work, the end of the turn handle points to the OFF direction.  Is it the same for the bypass valves to the hot water heater?
It's all about choices.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 6:41pm
Depends on your bypass system.  Some have 2 valves others, like mine have 3.  Regardless of which system you have by turning the handles perpendicular to the pipe - that will be off or bypass.  On the 3 valves system the top and bottom valves will be turned perpendicular to flow to turn off or bypass.  The middle valve will be turned to the open or 'in line' or parallel with the pipe position - this is for winterization mode.  Do just the opposite when you wish to de-winterize.

I did not know about sanitizing the tank for the first 5 years of ownership and my wife and I use the FW tank for drinking a lot - fortunately we never got sick.  So finally on year 6 we sanitized but then had a problem with the taste of the water.  Took us a combination of 4 attempts to rid the tank of that nasty chlorine/bleach smell and taste.  Used a combination of 1 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup baking soda and 1 cup of 100% lemon juice concentrate in 15 gallons water.  Run through all lines for a minute (skipped the toilet line) and let sit overnight.  Next day ran through all lines until we ran out of liquid - took about 20 minutes if I recall.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 6:47pm
I am of the alternate opinion, I never sanitized my FWT, yet we used it all the time, almost never having water hookups where we camped.

We only used the FWT for showers and dishwashing. Cooking, drinking, toothbrushing water was always taken from a 2.5 gallon bottled water dispenser. I learned this from many years traveling in remote locations in underdeveloped countries.

This approach has the advantages of never having to worry about ingesting contaminated water and also allowed us to bring a few extra gallons. Since water was our limiting factor boondocking that extended our stays. And regardless of how well you sanitize your tank you can't ever be sure the water your putting in it is really safe, there could be contamination somewhere in the water system.

In any case that's what we do and why. Others do the sanitation thing and are comfortable drinking the FWT water. As you say it's all about choices

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2022 at 2:12pm
On a 196, the water heater is under the fridge. Behind the vacuum if you have one. Some models have an access panel on the side to get to the hot water valves. There are 2 valves.  If you want to use the hot water heater, point the handle of the valves toward the h/w tank. To bypass the tank, handles point inline with the waterlines. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Linward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 12:19pm
Thanks all for the info.  But now I have another thought.  Should the bleach sanitizing and odor/taste neutralizing include the hot water heater?  I am concerned that it might negatively affect the anode rod.  I guess I could remove the rod and plug the drain hole???  
It's all about choices.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>