R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Rpod 191 Slide out Failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rpod 191 Slide out Failure
    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 8:30am
I have a 2019 Rpod 191 purchased last year & used all season with no issues. I live in the Chicago area and store it at an outdoor storage facility. The battery was bad & I removed it for storage. Recently, I installed a new, fully charged Renology AGM battery. After installing, I attempted to operate & extend the slide out, but it was dead. I checked the fuses & found a blown 30Amp fuse in the #6 location. It also had a lit Red LED. When I attempted installing a new fuse it arc'd & I did NOT attempt to secure it in place. I assume I have a short somewhere to ground?
And suggestions on diagnosing this failure? Or, does anyone have suggestions on common causes of this type of failure?

Thanks,
Jack in NW suburbs of Chicago
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 9:58am
The red light means there is a working circuit but the fuse is blown. If there is a current draw, there might be a spark when the fuse legs make contact. That does not necessarily mean there is a short. What would indicate a short is if the fuse you were trying to insert blew when it had that spark. If it does not blow, then try the slide-out. If it blows then, you definitely have an issue to be checked out, but it still is not necessarily a short. It could be an overload.

As it is, the glowing LED is on the F6 position. Did you park the 30A fuse in the F5 position?

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 10:03am
The LED will remain on until the fuse is correctly installed.  So are you saying that when you attempted to install a new fuse it shorted out or did it simply arc?   I have replaced fuses in the past and it will arc if there is any draw on that circuit but once it is installed the light will turn off. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 12:25pm
Thanks for your reply. I will disconnect battery, install new fuse & attach battery & see if it blows immediately or when I attempt to operate the slide out switch. The arcing was a concern since this is for the slide out, and since I wasnt operating it at the time of fuse install, there shouldn't have been any current draw. So, I was concerned about the arcing.

Jack
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 12:28pm
thanks for your reply. I didnt get the fuse seated. When I saw the arcing, I assumed I have a bigger issue. I cant think of any reason there would be a current draw on this circuit if the slide out switch isn't being operated. I will try again next week when I get to the storage facility.

Jack
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 1:04pm
There is always some current flowing to that circuit through the LED, which is why the LED can light. It just is a very low current, insufficient to do more than light the LED to let you know the fuse is blown. When you put the fuse in, there will be a little spark, not a big arc (that makes it sound like a welder) and the LED will go out since there is a lower resistance path for the current to travel. Just to be sure, I went out and pulled the fuse for my slide-out, and the LED lit. When I put the fuse back in, there was a little spark until I got the blades in place to push in and seat it properly.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 1:23pm
Thanks StephenH, very helpful. Nice of you to go out & test on your own Rpod, I appreciate it.

jack
Mooree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mooree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 12:06pm
To remove the slide out from the RV, the best way is to delete everything in that area so that deleting the entire slide is easier and more convenient. Put away your day bed, curtain, or anything else that weighs you down. This way, it's easier when you're outside and ready to take the slide off.

106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 1:42pm
All fixed..I am very embarrassed, as I had battery leads reversed. Ive never done this in my life!!! 
Im actually a pretty good mechanic, do all my own car repairs, and have restored several old BMW motorcycles, etc. etc. Ive been wrenching for 55 years!!!

Am my defense, it was winter, I was cold & in a hurry...oh well.

Thanks to the r-pod group for being so helpful. I hope to return the favor..

JackOuchDead
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 5:34pm
Mistakes happen. Now you know. Install a battery cut-off switch and then you won't have to worry about reversed leads. That is, until you need to change a battery.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>