R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

180 Single Bed Mod

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 Single Bed Mod
    Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 4:12pm

Fellow R-Poder’s after years of having to climb over my wife to get out of the bed in our 180 I decided enough was enough of playing Spider Monkey in the middle of the night. So I decided to remove the short queen size bed and put in two single beds with storage drawers underneath. I’d like to thank fellow forum members John & Sue aka voisj for leading the way with inspiring me to take on this project.

I believe voisj said the wood working involved was about a 7 in the skill scale of 1 to 10 and I would have to say it’s about a 7+. I obtained all the materials from our local big box home improvement center though if I had to do it again, I might strongly consider paying more for the lumber by going to a local building supply because of the inferior quality of wood available at the big box store. Other then that I’d also strongly suggest you have a table saw, cut off miter saw, jig saw, drills, and air brad & staple gun at your service just to make life much easier.

As you will see from the pictures, I disassembled one of the dinette seats and made this removable. By removing it and laying it down and then stacking the dinette cushions it comes to the perfect height to allow me to stretch out. As for the other single bed, my wife bed, since she is only a little over five feet tall, she has enough room. As for the foam mattress we are lucky that we live in the center of what is left of the furniture industry in the USA and I was able to find a local distributor to select the density of foam and have it custom cut for a reasonable price.

So here are the photos and if you have any questions feel free to give me a shout!

Removing the dinette back .... hint make it easy on yourself by going ahead and removing the slide out dinette draw and the paneling covering the front at this time which I foolishly didn't do at the get go!

All done with extra bracing added.

Beds installed with 20" deep slide out drawers.

Center drawer installed which is also 20" deep to allow lots of storage.

Was able to reuse the plywood sheet from the old short queen and cut and install for new single beds. The two large bed drawers do not have pulls since the drawer extends to the bottom of bed frame which overhangs the trailer framing. So you can simply reach to the bottom of drawer front and pull open.

Finished!!!

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 10:03pm
Looks nice and you did a great job!  With this new layout are the beds now longer than a short queen?  If so by how many inches?  Also do you think you will miss the extra room you once had or not since there is a lot of floor room (compared to my 177) in the 180 already.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 7:36am
   Great job! Have thought of a similar layout for our Gulf Stream vista cruiser but still undecided if would want to give up our dinette table. Gulf Stream does have new model vista cruiser 19TWD with twin beds.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 10:36am
Originally posted by jato

Looks nice and you did a great job!  With this new layout are the beds now longer than a short queen?  If so by how many inches?  Also do you think you will miss the extra room you once had or not since there is a lot of floor room (compared to my 177) in the 180 already.

Thanks Jato! As for the bed length well on my wife side it maybe a bit shorter being that is something like 62 inches long. She is only a little over 5 foot something and sleeps curled up anyways so she tells me that she will have plenty of room. On my side, which is a little shorter, by modifying the dinette seat where I can remove the back and stack cushions it gives me plenty of room to stretch out. As for missing extra room we gained lots of extra floor space with this modification and added extra storage with the drawers under and in-between the beds.

Another neat thing about this mod is when the day comes we sell the 180 who ever buys it can easily convert it back to the single short queen bed since I saved the mattress, topper, and such. 
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
DavMar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DavMar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 10:41am
Originally posted by David and Danette

Great job! Have thought of a similar layout for our Gulf Stream vista cruiser but still undecided if would want to give up our dinette table. Gulf Stream does have new model vista cruiser 19TWD with twin beds.

I've been in a Vista Cruiser but sorry remember much about it and its layout. The key point to the mod I did on my R-Pod is we didn't have to give up on the dinette table which is something I wouldn't do. All I have to do now is release some Velcro and pull the back of the dinette seat of then lay it down and stack the cushions and I have a bed longer then I did when I use to play Spider Monkey in the short queen size bed. LOL
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
Lexington, NC
 Post Reply Post Reply