R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Ac connect pops house GFI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ac connect pops house GFI
    Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 6:53pm
Have a R195, only a year old.  Opening it up from winter (not that there is much here in N California).  Charged batteries.  Trailer works fine off of battery power.  When I plug it into the house to run off ac (standard 110v/20a circuit with GFI) the GFI breaker pops off.  Didn’t do that last winter.  Stil under warranty but the dealer is an hour and a half away in Stockton.  Any suggestions for things to try/check before I drag it down there?

Thx in advance for any suggestions.  
Jackash
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 8:00pm
I had that problem and ended up replacing the GFI.  Problem solved. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Jackash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 8:15pm
Thanks. Cheap option. I will try that, or maybe try plugging it into a Different house outlet and see what happens?
Jackash
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 9:02pm
+1 to lostagain.  Most likely you will pop the breaker regardless of what outlet from the house you plug into.  GFI is kaput.  Others on this forum have encountered the same as you, replacing the GFI will be a quick and simple remedy.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Jackash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 9:15pm
Only thing that niggles my brain a bit is that it worked in that same outlet last year.  gFIs do fail/wear out over time, I guess. 
Jackash
Jackash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 9:16pm
And that GFI outlet works fine for power tools, leaf blower, etc.  just not the draw of he trailer (with nothing on). As soon as I plug the trailer in (with nothing turned on) it pops.  
Jackash
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 10:11pm
To be clear, your house circuit is what's popping, not the Pod GFI?  I just replaced a GFI breaker in my home circuit panel and it did, indeed, fix the problem of the breaker tripping every time someone looked at it funny.  They can go bad in various ways, but I think it might be worth trying the trailer on another house circuit.  The first assumption when a GFI breaker trips should be that you have a ground fault somewhere, not that you have a bad breaker.

Maybe turn off all of the circuits in the Pod, try again, and if it doesn't trip, turn on the Pod breakers one at a time.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Jackash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jackash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 10:30pm
Great idea.  Will do. Thx. 
Jackash
Winterpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Winterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 9:54am
Check the electric switch on the hot water heater. If it is on and there is no water in the heater, the element is fried and that will trip your breaker. I know that from experience.
Good luck ,hope you solve the problem
Winter pod
2013 R-Pod 178
2007 Silverato 1500 LT.
Trek Stash 8 29er hard tail
Old Town Kayak
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 11:26am
+1 to checking the switch, but be sure to check the breaker for the water heater as well.  There might even be a 3rd switch in the circuit.  It's all a process of elimination.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>