R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

To buy or not to buy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote MoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To buy or not to buy.
    Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 10:24pm
2012 193. See such a wide extreme in positive and negative reviews. Is it wise at this time?
MoMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 10:26pm
Pardon 2021 not 2012
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 5:55am
A little more information would be helpful for us to provide you with comments. What is your intended type of camping? How long do you plan to keep it? What do you tow with?

If you mean should you buy a 2021 rpod 193 right now when prices are high? Travel trailers aren't investments, they are intended to be used for personal enjoyment, so that is entirely a personal decision. If you have the money and want to enjoy the coming camping season why not? If you aren't going to do much camping in the near term and want to wait and see if prices drop them do that.

As for quality all these mass market trailers are built to minimize cost,and all of them use similar appliances. They need maintenance and inspections, and they need to be used as intended. They are not for off road use although with care they can handle unpaved well graded roads.

A 2021 is new enough that it shouldn't have a lot of issues from deferred maintenance, but even so, you should inspect it thoroughly. Look especially for water damage and leaks, pretty much everything else can be fixed but water can destroy a travel trailer in short order.

There are certainly trailers built to last longer that rpods, the two piece fiberglass trailers being one such. But those also cost much more. Again, your choice.    
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
MoMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2022 at 7:59am
Appreciate your time.  Yes.  Request was a bit abreviated.  Had seen some pretty obtuse reviews; from trailers burning up to bending frames and leaks.  Sold my Starcraft, and yes familiar with many items to correct/maintain after trips.  Had a personal friend and salesman in the trade mention the covid era trailers seem to be junk - Many supply and assembly problems.  Just built a new house and had a punchlist of 30 items....so nothing new.  Sounds like seals, fittings and fixture security are main items to stay on top of.  Thanks again and hope your farming can survive the fuel costs.  Been there.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2022 at 5:28am
Yeah, there are always quality and workmanship issues with these trailers targeted at the lower/mid level market. I'm not sure the folks that have bought new in the last year or so are seeing more of this or not. Mostly annoying and cosmetic rather thah seriously compromising function I think, but some of our newer forum members might want to chime in.

The frames and axles of rpods have had some problems. They are, shall we generously say, not built with a lot of safety margin. All that is fixable with reinforcement and controllable if you avoid rough roads and excess load.

Floors are sandwich construction using foam glued between a couple of plywood layers. The walls rest on the edges of these with the frame rails inboard so there is a tendency for sag to occur there. Many members have added outriggers that carry that load back to the frame. Forest River even sells the outriggers so that tells you something.

There are also folks who have had sagging in the middle of their floors where there isnt much support. Usually happens after long use standing in those spots. But again, all pretty easily correctable with reinforcement under the trailer.

Water intrusion as you are already aware can make a trailer junk in no time. That wood and foam floor in particular can't handle being wet, and it's extremely difficult to get in there and fix that. Be vigilant in keeping water out, parking it under cover if possible, and you'll be ok.

Re fuel costs farming, it's not really a problem for me. I'm retired doing hobby farming only and my old Ford tractor at typical load uses 1 to 2 gallons of diesel per hour. So if I bought more than 40 or 50 gallons a year of diesel I'd be surprised.

I've gone all electric for my trimmers, mower, chainsaw, etc, and I heat with wood. I'm a retired solar engineer so will be installing that this year, and I'm on the wait list for a new f150 electric pickup.

So pretty soon the old tractor will be the only fuel burning machine on my place.   I might try running it on veggie oil or biodiesel this summer, and only use dino-diesel in winter a couple of times for plowing snow.

With all home grown energy I won't really care anymore about whos manipulating the global spot market for crude oil. Wouldn't that be nice for a change?

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 12:03pm
I don't see prices for anything dropping anytime soon, so waiting for prices, new or used, to decline will depend on your desire to get out there and camp. My wife and I picked up a new 2017 Rpod based on it's size and towability by a mid size truck.  At this point in our lives, empty nesters and ready to retire, we had no use for anything big, trailer or truck. We've spent our lives backpacking and car camping so we are inherently minimalists. 

We inherited a Starcraft many years ago and sold it because we were still car camping back then. The Rpod is a step up, but not by much. Construction of an RV travel trailer such as a lightweight Pod is marginal at best. They require continual maintenance, an attention to keep the worry free during your travels. These are not buy-it and-forget-it items. They are, however, incredibly comfortable and fun.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. 

Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179
2016 Nissan Frontier SV
 Post Reply Post Reply