R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Dometic RM 8501 3-Way Refrigerator parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote sbeninga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic RM 8501 3-Way Refrigerator parts
    Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 2:52pm
I am looking for some help with my refrigerator in my 2019 R-Pod. I have a Dometic RM 8501 refrigerator and the left hinge broke for the the freezer compartment. Then I went to try to pull out the freezer compartment as a whole (as I know that it is removable). I felt underneath without really looking and found some clips that I was able to move. When I went to move those clips back they dropped out. Anyway, I am just looking for some suggestions on how to fix it. I believe that I have picked up that this frig model has been discontinued and that parts are hard to come by. Also, I have managed to break the third shelf down on the door and would like to get that part. And there was never a shelf for the very bottom spot on the door and I wouldn't mind getting that part. I did call Dometic and was able to get the parts diagram. Thanks for any help that you can be.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 3:05pm
If the little handle has fallen off, it can likely be snapped back into place. That happened to me more than once also.

Unfortunately, that refrigerator that I had last year went to the landfill after I could not find any takers for more of the parts so I can't help you any more than offering suggestions.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 3:23pm
I am in the same boat as Steven H above for the most part.  After nearly 10 years my RM 8501 decided to 'retire' so I ended up purchasing the same unit from FR.  I have parted out nearly every part available so far and the ones you are looking for are unfortunately already spoken for.

Agree with Stephen that the part that fell off (it has happened to me as well) can be snapped back into place.  There is no 3rd shelf on the door, if you attempt to put the 2nd shelf in the 3rd shelf position you will note the door will not close because it hits against the vegetable bin.  If you really wanted to you could purchase another lower door shelf but to make it work you would have to remove the vegetable bin; and I don't think that would be a good idea as everything that goes there would be 'floating' around and would end up on the floor every time you open the fridge door.

This fridge is still being produced, unfortunately the powers that be have put nearly everything into a supply problem so you will have to be patient to get the parts once ordered.  Even though I had a few issues with FR when ordering my new fridge, they worked with me and kept me for the most part up to date on when delivery could be expected.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
sbeninga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbeninga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 8:20pm
Thank you Stephen for your reply! I finally figured out how to pull the freezer compartment out.  Now I can see much better how everything is connected.  I was able to snap those pieces back onto the part that slides. I was kind of hoping to find someone who had perhaps hung onto their old frig for parts as I had read some of those posts.  Someone on the Facebook R-Pod page mentioned also to see of anyone is making that part with a 3-D printer.  I found the hinge part on Amazon for $38 each.  That does seem more expensive than necessary.  I will hold out for a few days to see what happens.  Thanks again! 
sbeninga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbeninga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2022 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by jato

I am in the same boat as Steven H above for the most part.  After nearly 10 years my RM 8501 decided to 'retire' so I ended up purchasing the same unit from FR.  I have parted out nearly every part available so far and the ones you are looking for are unfortunately already spoken for.

Agree with Stephen that the part that fell off (it has happened to me as well) can be snapped back into place.  There is no 3rd shelf on the door, if you attempt to put the 2nd shelf in the 3rd shelf position you will note the door will not close because it hits against the vegetable bin.  If you really wanted to you could purchase another lower door shelf but to make it work you would have to remove the vegetable bin; and I don't think that would be a good idea as everything that goes there would be 'floating' around and would end up on the floor every time you open the fridge door.

This fridge is still being produced, unfortunately the powers that be have put nearly everything into a supply problem so you will have to be patient to get the parts once ordered.  Even though I had a few issues with FR when ordering my new fridge, they worked with me and kept me for the most part up to date on when delivery could be expected.

Thanks, Jim, for your reply!  I was kind of hoping that I might be able to find someone who held onto their old frig for parts.  I would imagine that the hinge that I am looking for is a pretty popular part.  As far as the 4th shelf for the bottom, I just noticed that there was a notch for a shelf so I guess I assumed that there was one.  I bought my R-Pod used.  At one point I did try to move the smaller shelf down to the bottom and saw how it would not work with the vegetable bin.
Interesting that you said that this frig is still being produced as I thought that the woman that I spoke to at Dometic said it was being discontinued.  I do see now where it is still shown for sale on Dometic's website.  I might have to call Dometic back again to clarify.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 1:29am
The last time I checked for another person wanting to purchase this model fridge for their 178 it was still available, that was last October.  Maybe things have changed since then, I will call FR and get an update.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply