R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

my 2017 178 is coming apart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote rookmon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my 2017 178 is coming apart
    Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 3:38pm
light to moderate use, i know i don't park it or drive it in the most ideal of conditions, but i do a lot to keep it nice.  any of you got any advice on a practical fix?  or is it already on its way to the crash up derby?  both of the back corners and one of the front corners are showing damage

rookmon1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rookmon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 3:41pm
Gebaldwin1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gebaldwin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 8:07am
Looks like water damage. Was that in a flood or flooded inside from a leak?
GMan
Lil' Bumpy - RPod 180
rookmon1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote rookmon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 10:59am
i thought it is from being driven on hillsides and on unlevel lanes and turning about, bumpy roads in construction zones.  there was a component that had to be changed on the toilet that caused leaking, and there has been other problems with the black tank pipe falling off.  there probably is water damage, plus it is parked outside year round. 

i guess i need to go digging.  was hoping there was some bracket or diamond plates i could fasten to hold it together, but the sucker is just one after another, with new battery, inverter, tires, but still not good to go.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 11:32am
You might take a look at this tread by one of our members. Looks similar although your problem is more widespread. Good luck!

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14743&PN=1&title=trip-damage-and-delamination]corner fix
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2022 at 2:51pm
The reference offgrid gave is where I repaired my rp189.  It is caused because of rough roads and no outriggers.  After I did my repair I added 4 outrigger supports along each side of trailer.  Seems to be holding up so far.

frozebubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote frozebubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 1:46pm
pedwards,  Do you have photos of the outriggers you used?  I have the front corner issue on my 2016 171, both sides.  Rough roads may be my problem as I migrate annually between Fairbanks and northern Florida. I have gone through 2 iterations of larger diameter and longer screws to pull the corner strips in, but they don't last.  Gorilla tape seals up the gaps for ~1000-2000 miles at a time, but I need a permanent fix.  Thanks! 
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 2:52pm
I used the factory outriggers....4 on each side.  The link to my repair was already given.  You have to fix the delamination then put the lower railing back on.  I documented my repair fairly well I think.  The outriggers are essential to keep it from falling apart again.....also slow down and watch out for potholes etc.
frozebubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote frozebubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 5:18pm
I had reviewed the link that offgrid provided before I posted and there was nothing in there about outriggers.  I did find a great video on installing outriggers and it answered all my questions. Thanks for bringing up the terminology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R5QQJeXoB4

Post Reply Post Reply