R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWanting to Buy a RPOD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanting to Buy a RPOD
    Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:08pm
Hello All,
My name is Marshal and I'm wanting to purchase an RPOD at the beginning of 2011.  Can anyone give me the positives and negavites on the neat campers.  I really seem to be attracted to them, just do not have any experience with them. Your comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marshal
Longview,Tx
Marshal
2011 R-177
Longview, Tx
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 6:54am
Welcome to the group!  I'll offer my perspective as a former Pod owner, for what it is worth.

There were two things that I did not like about the Pod, even before buying it: (1) The wet bath and  (2) the R-dome.  I wanted a traditional awning for various reasons.  The drawback to the wet bath was; it is small and dirt/rocks from my hiking boots were getting ground into the shower pan.  I overcame the latter by getting a deep grooved car floor mat, cutting it to size and placing it in the shower pan anytime I wasn't taking a shower.  The interior width is a bit over 6', which can be a problem if you are over 6'.

The positives are - it is a fully equipped travel trailer with all of the features/comforts of just about any other.  Mine was well made (I thought).  I only had 2 issues; the front decals where starting to peel and a couple of minor caulking issues that I fixed myself.  It is considered "light weight" but still, expect only 10-12mpg towing - regardless of your tow vehicle.  It's unique shape is an attention getter and you will likely find your fellow campers wanting to see it and talk about it.  Most here seem to prefer the slide out models for the extra space.  It's 2" thick walls make it a bit more energy efficient to heat/cool.  It's large fresh/gray/black tanks work in favor of those who like to dry camp (no hook-ups).

It's a very worthy contender in the smaller travel trailer market.  It's smaller size and rounded shape can present challenges, but some enjoy using their creativity to overcome that.  Some have had little or no problems, while others have had significant ones.  This seems common throughout the RV industry.

My "unvarnished" summary is; it is an 18' travel trailer.  When compared to others in this size, does it fill your needs/wants and do you LIKE it.
harleyguy1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 8:53am
Thanks for taking the time to give me your input.
Marshal
2011 R-177
Longview, Tx
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 11:56am
David summed it up fairly well. We own a 177 with slide, i am over the hill (old) and handicapped so my wife does a lot of the muscle work. we have owned fiver's, motor homes, and pickup campers and now downsized to pod. Ours has been a quality unit with a couple of small problems. When you decide shop around your local dealer will come very close if not match the net dealers and you will have someone close to work on it if need be. You are doing the right thing by asking questions.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 1:34pm
I looked at this post earlier but didn't answer.  That was a hard question!Big smile  But the other members did real well.  Myself I like the R-Dome but rarely use it.  I do all the camping by myself and it is usually when I take the Jeep off roading.  The R-Dome comes in handy when its raining and there is wind.  Most of the time though it isn't worth the hassle of putting up by myself for 1 day and night of use.

This little camper has everything  a person needs actually.  It boils down to your likes and dislikes.  When you compare the R-Dome to other campers be sure to compare build quality too.  Forest River built this thing pretty good.

Terry  
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
 Post Reply Post Reply