This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

RPOD 178 Power Switch - Event Date: 03 Nov 2023

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Texasvet1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: RPOD 178 Power Switch
    Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 9:38pm
I purchased a 2015 RPOD 178 on 3-11-22... I have not used the Rpod yet... I tried using the Solar Panel to powerup the Rpod so I could try to operate the lights TV and AC...I moved it from storage to my driveway last week... I dont have any power source for now, I am ordering a 30 amp extention cord tomorrow and use the 110 dogbone to hookup to my house.... Will this work from my house I have never done this before...
Is there a power switch to turn on the power to the RPOD??? I cant find one...

Thanks 
James
James Adkerson
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 11:33am
Welcome to the forum Texasvet1991. 

There is no "off" switch unless the Rpod has a battery disconnect switch (which it might have since it's 7 years old). You should use a DVM or any kind of volt meter to check the battery to see if it is charged up. If it's been run down, the first thing you'll likely need to do is get a new battery.

All the lights in the Rpod are 12V, so they need a "live" battery to turn on. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 12:19pm
Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest that you check the security/cleanliness of the battery post connections and make sure that you verify the cables are connected to the correct post. If they have been connected backwards, even for a second I think there is a large fuse that can blow that protects your trailer. Check your fuse panel for any blown fuses.

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Texasvet1991

I purchased a 2015 RPOD 178 on 3-11-22... I have not used the Rpod yet... I tried using the Solar Panel to powerup the Rpod so I could try to operate the lights TV and AC...I moved it from storage to my driveway last week... I dont have any power source for now, I am ordering a 30 amp extention cord tomorrow and use the 110 dogbone to hookup to my house.... Will this work from my house I have never done this before...
Is there a power switch to turn on the power to the RPOD??? I cant find one...
ThanksĀ 
James

Yes, that will work. There is a battery charger built into your fuse/breaker panel. That will charge your battery (test it to be sure it's good) and run your lights, slide, furnace, refrigerator (it's AC, DC & gas) and radio on the DC side. Your TV, Micro, AC water heater element (water heater also uses gas) and Air Conditioner are 120V AC only.

There isn't a power switch. However, if connected, the solar panel should keep the battery charged (or mostly). Mine came with a battery disconnect switch. There is enough dark current to deplete the battery in about 10 days without the disconnect. My temporary 25 watt panel will keep my battery charged if every day is sunny.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Texasvet1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Texasvet1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 11:15am
Thank you all for the good advise... I really appreciate your help still learning about the Rpod 178..

I have another question,,, The Rpod came with a ZAMP SOLAR system 60 watt..
I hooked it up to my prewired Zamp system at the port on Rpod, but only get a 601 code on the monitor,
I watched a video on U Tube and he said that the code means Battery not connected...CODE 601 means Battery not connected... I left the solar panel out in sun for 3 hours no change still code 601...
If the battery is dead would that be the cause...OuchOuch
James Adkerson
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 11:24am
Hopefully you have a voltmeter or multitestor, if not, go to HF and for about $5 you can purchase one.
Testing your battery you should read (fully charged at rest) 12.72 volts.  If it is down to 50% S.O.C. it will only read 12.2v. For maximum battery longevity do not draw down below 12.2v.  Pop off the cover and see if your cells are covered and full and fill to full mark with distilled water,  if they are dry you may very well have a dead battery. 

If the battery was hooked up wrong previously you may have both 40amp fuses toasted, which would not allow you solar to charge the battery.  Check to see if those fuses are good.  Also make certain that the connections on the battery on not only finger tight but snugged down securely with a wrench.   Not having solar i cannot offer any constructive advice as to that issue.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 5:49pm
Us suggest getting a multimeter with a DC current clamp on function. These are more like $35 from online retailers but well worth it because you can see how much current your charging sources are providing and your loads are taking. Be sure to get one that does DC current, not just AC current, which is more common.

And yes it is possible for a bad battery to look like an open circuit and fool a solar charge controller into thinking there is no battery connected.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply