R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: 10Amp "Battery / Slide-Out" Fuse keeps blowinglowi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

10Amp "Battery / Slide-Out" Fuse keeps blowinglowi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10Amp "Battery / Slide-Out" Fuse keeps blowinglowi
    Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 3:13pm
2019 Rpod 190
I'm having a problem with Fuse #6 - for "Battery & Slide-out". The fuse blows whenever AC power OR generator is attached. If I need to run on battery, I disconnect AC power & then re-install fuse & all is well. But, it will blow fuse EVERY time when I plug back in to AC power. I tried plugging in AC power & THEN installing fuse, thinking its a surge issue, but it still blows fuse every time.

MORE Detail, I am the same guy that posted up a few months ago about blown fuse 6, I then realized I installed new battery with reversed wire leads, Crap!! I reinstalled the battery correctly & thought all was well, as I was able to install fuse & operate slide out. Didnt realize the fuse blew when I plugged in to AC until I unplugged to use Rpod & had a completely dead trailer due to fuse blowing.

Wondering if I blew a diode on inverter? Is there a wiring diagram for the inverter available for the Model 190??

Thanks for any help...

Jack in  Chicago area
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 6:11pm
The slide out fuse is also labelled as a battery fuse?! Never heard of that.

By inverter do you mean the battery charger which changes 120VAC to 12VDC? An inverter does the opposite, converts 12VDC from the battery to AC to run 120VAC loads. It's called an inverter because AC voltage is "inverted" alternating between positive and negative 60 times a second.

The charger has a 4OA fuse (actually 2, one in the pos connecting and one in the neg). If the charger in yours really is running through a 10A fuse then it will blow immediately.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 7:13am
Hi, I added a photo of fuses to my orig post above, it shows F6 as "Slideout & Battery". Interestingly, this is the fuse that blew when I reversed battery polarity & NOT the 40 amp fuse below it, which is the Reversed Polarity protection fuse.
The Inverter, with built in battery charger, is a WF-8735. Altho my rpod came with a 10amp fuse in the #6 position, the manual says it should be a 30amp fuse. THIS may be my issue? Altho it worked fine all last season with the 10 amp, only thing changed was the new, much larger capacity battery. Maybe it draws more amps that the old battery when the AC is plugged in? I will find out when I get camper out of storage. Thanks.
jack
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 6:05pm
Yes a larger fresh battery will draw more current than an older small one, so you might have thev3colanation there. If the manual says that ac30A guess should go there then in theory you can put one back in, but that doesn't explain why the 10A fuse is there. In any case provided that all the wiring coming off that fuse is rated for a min of 30A you should be fine. That would make it 10 gauge wire or larger. Check those wire sizes and if you are good there you can proceed with the fuse change.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 6:07pm
The WF-8735 is a converter. It's not an inverter.
https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8735-35-amp/

Can you post a picture of the fuse label in your breaker panel? My 2020 180 has fuse 5 labeled as "30 amp slide out motor" and fuse 6 labeled as "30 amp Bat, Refer Elem, Awning".
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 7:27pm
If you look at that 1st post from me, it has the photo, expand it & it does say 30 Amp Max. So I will try that next, Thanks!

Jack
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by 106G

If you look at that 1st post from me, it has the photo, expand it & it does say 30 Amp Max. So I will try that next, Thanks!

Jack
Okay. Cool. Good luck.

Note that the picture in your first post doesn't "expand" for me. All I see is the fuses. I don't see the label with all the fuses labeled.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 8:46pm
There should be another label for the fuse panel.  The only fuse that appears to be labeled on the fuse board appears to be the one in question and it appears to call for a 30 amp fuse, so I think that's your answer.  But a fuse panel can be wired in various ways, so there should be a printed label providing a legend for all 6 fuses.  Typically it would explain what each fuse was for and its amperage.  It seems a bit odd that the #5 fuse is labeled on the board but none of the others are.  Maybe it's the only one made to handle 10 g wire.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 2:27pm
UPDATE: I put the proper size - 30Amp fuse in place of the 10Amp that was in the Inverter when I bought trailer used. The 30Amp did NOT blow when AC power is applied. So, problem Fixed.
Thanks to all those who helped me on this!
Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply