R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Bike rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote fyh3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike rack
    Posted: 01 May 2022 at 11:48am
Hello. First time posting. Can I use any bike rack on the back of my R POD 180? Haven't received the RPOD just yet, but I believe it comes with a 1 1/4 hitch receiver and I have a bike rack that will fit (it's a Swagman XTC2 TILT Hitch Mount Bike Rack). The rack weighs 30 pounds.

Do you think this rack's weight will be okay on the RPOD receiver? Bike itself is fairly light.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:53pm
Unless it is a FR approved bike rack, it will void your warranty if you have one.  If you are handy with a welder or know someone who is it will be necessary to reinforce the wimpy existing receiver so it can handle the weight and more importantly the bounce it will receive as you travel.  I know you will say that the tire and existing mount weigh more BUT the bounce of your bike(s) will put excessively more stress/strain weight on the mount itself causing failure.  There have been numerous instances of failure noted when individuals place a bike or two on the back 1 1/4" mount hitch.  Do a search on this forum and look at some of the fantastic weld jobs done to make your wish become a reality.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
jeepers29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeepers29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 11:35am
I just picked up our new 180 and asked the same question.  The response I received was that the hitch would support 300 pounds.  I could barely keep from laughing.  As stated above, I would not trust that hitch to carry a bike of any real value.  Also, consider what would happen if a bike and rack came off in highway traffic.  Someone could die.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 12:14pm
If the dealer's sales person told you it'd support 300 lbs., ask him/her to put it in writing on the letter head of the dealer and countersigned by the owner or Warren Buffett.

Our trailer has an I-beam frame with a box bumper to hold the black water hose and a spare tire mounted to the bumper, all much sturdier than the spare tire mount for our 172.  I added a bracket to hold a 2" receiver for a bike rack and tried a top load and bottom load bike rack.  Neither was sufficiently stable to risk putting on the back of the trailer and was a liability disaster in the waiting.  Now, if I take our bikes along camping, I put them in our truck.  Though many probably disagree with me, I don't think it is a good idea to carry bikes on the back of a single axle trailer.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 12:57pm
The hitch capacity is one thing, the other issue is the stress on the main frame rails from hitting a bump with are additional weight back there. The combination of torque (moment) caused by the rotation of the torsion axle when the wheels hit the bump plus and the increased g force on the frame rails trying to lift the trailer up over the bump can bend the frame at the axle attach point. It's the weakest point on the trailer frame and bending at that point has been reported here.

Then there is the tongue weight imbalance from 300 additional lbs hanging off the back. A little trailer sway anyone?

So I agree with LA, get a signed letter from FR, but have it written to cover any direct, indirect, or consequential damages, compensatory or punitive, that might result from placing 300 lbs on that hitch, not just direct damage to the hitch itself, without financial limit. LA, feel free to chime in with any additional types of damages that should be included, as well as the probability of getting such a document past FR's legal staff.

Or, just put those heavy bikes someplace better and enjoy the drive.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 1:39pm
Sorry, OG, I packed up my shingle and went to "inactive" status in the Cal Bar.  I've returned to my original vocation as a carpenter and enjoy working 2 or 3 days a week.  Plus, it gives me an excuse to acquire more tools that I will pass on to my kids when I get too old and feeble to play with them.  We're starting 2 new houses next month and have just finished 2 others.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jeepers29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeepers29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 1:42pm
I didn't even bother to comment as I know what the reality is.  Just thought is was amusing.  I am welding up a rack to put in the bed of our truck for the bikes.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by jeepers29

I didn't even bother to comment as I know what the reality is.  Just thought is was amusing.  I am welding up a rack to put in the bed of our truck for the bikes.

Good idea!  We keep ours inside a 177 when traveling.  They are Specialized lightweight carbon frame and only weigh in at 17 lbs.  I really dislike having to clean the chain ring, chain, derailleurs, sprockets, frame and so on.  Amazing how much crud the bike picks up sitting on a carrier, regardless if it is in front (worst) or rear of a vehicle (which isn't much better)
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply