Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2012 r-pod 177 "INTRODUCTION"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mylilypod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mylilypod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 r-pod 177 "INTRODUCTION"
    Posted: 09 Jun 2022 at 4:25pm
thank you!
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 6:06am
Since the two white wires and the two green/white wires are connected together you can think of them as if they are each one wire.

So, all you need to do is know which of those is positive and which is negative. In theory the white wire should be negative and the green/white wire positive but don't count on it.

That is where your voltmeter comes in. Put the meter on DC volts. Stick the probe connected to the + terminal of the meter into the bottom of the wire nut that connects the green/white wires. Stick the probe connected to the meter - terminal into the other wire nut.

If the meter reads in the range of 10-15V then you can connect the black wire from the detector to the two white wires and the red one to the two green/white wires.

If the meter reads -10 to -15V then you know the polarity is the opposite and you can connect the black wire to the two green/white wires and the red wire to the two white wires.

If you don't get a reading in the meter in either of those voltage ranges then be sure your probes are making contact with the bare ends of the wires in the wire nuts and that the battery is connected and properly charged.

When you connect up the wires you should only unscrew one wire nut at a time so you don't inadvertently short out the wires. You wont get a schock from a 12V circuit so you don't need to worry about that, but you do need to be sure no wire gets shorted to another wire or to any metal connected to the trailer frame.

Unscrew a wire nut then twist the bare end of the appropriate wire from the detector clockwise around the other two wires. Then screw the wire nut back on. Tug on all 3 wires to be sure they are well connected. Repeat for the others wire nut.

Done!

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mylilypod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mylilypod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 3:54pm
I want to be clear in understanding... there are 2 sets of wires in my photo and each with a yellow nut... one set to the alarm and another for "something else?" How will I know which of the sets goes to the red/black on alarm? 
thanks so much.

JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2022 at 7:51am
As Offgrid indicated you should verify the polarity of your system because the wiring may have been changed over the different owners and the verification is done with a voltmeter.  When you get your voltmeter, as SH indicated plug the red lead into the + side of the voltmeter and the black lead into the - or common side of the meter.  Set the scale to where 12 volts will be read and touch the green/white wire with the red lead and the white wire with the black lead.  You should be getting a 12 volt reading on the meter.  If you are getting a -12 volt reading that means that the positive wire is reversed (in other words the white wire is connected to the positive side of the battery).  Also when I am talking about touching the wires with the multimeter leads I am referring to touching the bare part of the wire (with the wire nuts removed).  While doing your testing don't touch the bare wires (green/white with the white) together by mistake (you will get a spark and might blow a fuse).  To answer your question yes that is how my wiring is connected up but that is after I checked the system for the polarity and read the wiring instruction that came with the analyzer.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
mylilypod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mylilypod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 11:34am
Hi Jay,
If it isnt asking too much, when convieient could you post a snap shot of your propane alarm configuration? Did you have two green wires to one red and two white to one black? I will check mine when the voltmeter arrives. 
Much appreciated. Smile 
mylilypod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mylilypod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 11:29am
Thank you...I have one on order. Thumbs Up
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 4:48am
Don't guess on which polarity is which. There are two different wire color code standards in use in rpods so it's confusing, and might not even have been done correctly at the factory. As SH says, use a multimeter to check for proper polarity before connecting If you dont have a meter but one, they're not expensive, and keep it in your travel toolkit. It will be handy to have more than once, guaranteed.

I suggest getting a multimeter with a clamp that can measure DC current, that will be useful if/when you want to see how much load current a device is using it how much current a charger is producing. Be sure the meter specifically says it measures DC, not just AC current. Here is an example

meter
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 7:14am
+1 to SH Check the polarity of the green/white wire and the white wire.  I just replaced my alarm and I believe that the green/white wire is the positive and yes you can remove the wire nuts (the yellow things) and wire your alarm into those connections.  If my memory serves me correctly the red lead on the alarm is the positive one.  The reason there is 2 wires at the wire nuts is that the 12v run goes onto power something else in the trailer.  Hope this helps
Jay

179/2019
mylilypod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mylilypod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 7:24pm
PS/ should there be two white/ two green per the one back / red?
mylilypod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mylilypod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 7:21pm
THANK YOU...I will do just that! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>