R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt battery tester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jenga Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt battery tester
    Posted: 19 May 2022 at 4:30pm
Looking for a recommendation on a basic battery tester for my 12 volt deep cycle battery. One that shows actual charge numbers, not just "good, average, low, dead".
All I want to know is the exact charge level of the battery when dry camping. To know when to hook up portable solar panel charger, then read again after a few hours of charging. Thanks!
2014 R-Pod 178 aka the "Kobra Pod"
following a 2015 4Runner wherever it may wander
Jenga Jack View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jenga Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 4:58pm
Per above request, I should have said "volt meter". (I do not want to test the electrolytes)
Sorry, I'm not a car guy or an electrical guy.
2014 R-Pod 178 aka the "Kobra Pod"
following a 2015 4Runner wherever it may wander
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 5:23pm
I picked mine up at Harbor Freight (voltmeter) for $5.  It gives the basics - all I ever need to know.  Recharge when voltage drops to 12.2v for maximum battery longevity.  Fully charged 'at rest' the battery will read 12.72v or above.  Our oldest battery is a 12v Interstate, group size 24, deep cycle - just turned 11 years old last month.  Has served us boondockers well.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 8:39pm
Ditto for the Harbor Freight volt meter. Picked one up to keep in the tool bag on the Rpod and it's just as good as my expensive Klein. I would also put a plug in for the Renogy battery monitor. Kind of a PIA to install, but well worth it. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 9:26pm
You can spend about as much as you want on a meter at Lowe's, Home Depot, Amazon, etc., but if you don't know about cars or electricity then a meter from Harbor Freight or Walmart is all you need. It will do what you want.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
TheBum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TheBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 12:44am
A clamp meter is nice if you want to check the amount of current coming out of (or going into) the battery without disconnecting a cable.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 3:19pm
+1 on the clamp on multimeter. That is a very handy feature. All you know from a voltmeter is whether the battery is low on charge or not. The clamp on current meter will tell you where and how much current is going or out so you can sort out what is going on. They are about $40 on Amazon and have the voktmeter function and usually many others as well.

Be sure to get one that measures DC, not just AC current.

That being said, a voltmeter will not give you the exact state of charge of your battery. the voltage provides and approximation of charge level only, better than high, medium, or low but still approximate. To get the actual charge level you need a battery state of charge meter that is tracking the amp hours into and out of the battery in real time. Those are available online as well and are typically permanently installed because they are continuously monitoring battery current.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2022 at 10:20pm
If you just want to check your battery this is what you need:

2010 176
FJ Cruiser
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 9:13am
This is what I installed to monitor my LiFePO4 battery. I believe it can be set to monitor lead-acid batteries also.

Sure there are better ones that can check every single parameter that you could think of, but for the basic needs of checking the charge state of your battery, this one is hard to beat. I recommend this because it uses a shunt rather than a hall effect sensor for the reading. That way, you don't have to worry about whether the wire is in the center of the loop or not. Also, with the bouncing around our units take going down the road, the wire would likely not stay in the center anyway.

There are other brands that can give you things like logging or bluetooth, but they are much, much more expensive.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2022 at 3:40pm
That one is a good choice. I agree on getting one with a shunt to measure current rather than a Hall effect donut if it's a permanent install. The Hall effect ones can drift due to stray magnetic fields. Shunts are rock solid.

For a temporary measurement using a multimeter, a Hall effect clamp on is better so you don't have to splice a shunt into the wire. Just remember to zero it before taking a reading, and keep it away from electromagnetic fields (like motors or brake magnets).
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply