R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Inner seals on Dexter brake hub

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inner seals on Dexter brake hub
    Posted: 23 May 2022 at 8:01pm
Just packed bearings on a dexter hub - 2011 177.  Changed grease so totally cleaned old bearings and hubs.  Changed to a fully synthetic grease - works wonders at the golf course I used to work at.  Made by Schaeffer's - 219 Synforce Green it is a waterproof extreme pressure grease.  800 kg weld point and withstands higher heat range than conventional greases - 250 degrees more.  Pretty good stuff.

Anyway the inner seal needed is made by Dexter 010-019-00.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 8:15am
Jato, just curious, do you solvent clean your bearings before greasing or just press the new grease in until it comes out the other side of the bearing cage?

I used to always clean mine completely with solvent and let them dry before repacking. Then my A&P mechanic asked me why I was doing that when I repacked the bearings in my airplane landing gear, told me I was wasting my time and pressing the new grease through was fine.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:02pm
I used to do the solvent thing in the past until a mechanic that worked for me told me the same thing that your AP mechanic told you. :)  I cleaned off the surface grease and then simply use a bearing packer, press new grease in until all or most of the old is out. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 4:10am
Good. I suspect lots of folks do the same solvent thing like we used to do. Solvent cleaning, drying, and repacking takes longer than the rest of the job put together.

I haven't invested in a bearing pad ker yet, I just use the palm of my hand and press the grease through till it comes out the other side all around. But now with the plane I might get one, seems like I've already had the wheels off of it 2 or 3 times in the last 6 months for one thing or another. Airplanes are high maintenance....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 6:20am
I would invest in one, they are relatively inexpensive and IMHO use less grease than using the hand method.  Also you don't use as much Go-Jo or similar (and rags) to clean your hands after greasing.
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply