R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Floor raised up in 2018 roof 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gpokluda View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor raised up in 2018 roof 180
    Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 4:26pm
ZuBrew, I would definitely engage FR and see what they say. It wouldn't hurt. One of our slide out motors went kapoot a couple of months out of warranty and a couple of emails of FR helped get it covered at the dealership we purchased our 179 from.

BTW, nice motorcycle in your signature. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
ZuBrew View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZuBrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 9:03pm
Offgrid thank you for the info. I went under my trailer and looked things over; the frame, axle and mounts are all in good shape. Nothing broken or bent (I ran a string along the frame & the side wall). What I did find is the portion of the floor that sits beyond the frame has drooped nearly 1" along the both sides. It's more severe away from the corners. This has also caused the stairs to pitch downward and they're very spongy. I haven't torn anything apart yet but I think most of the floor will need to be replaced.
My dealer (Couches RV Nation) doesn't want to here about it. They just informed me it was out of warranty which I already knew. Do you think I'll get anywhere if I contact Forest River? I'm not sure how to go about that yet but I'll start with their website.

Thanks for any help on this,

2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 7:04pm
Go under the trailer and look at the frame where the axle is attached and see if it's bent or broken at that point.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ZuBrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZuBrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 4:47pm
I figured it out. You can see the vinyl is lifted where I push down 

2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
ZuBrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZuBrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 4:05pm
I think I have the same issue. I have a 2018 RP-189 and on my last camping trip I discovered the floor bulging up (1") about 6 - 8" from the doorway and the stairs are drooping lower than they had. I can see a distinct corner of something pushing the floor up, more on the forward side but both sides have issues. I was going to try and lift the vinyl flooring to look at what is going on but wanted to search this forum first. I have photos that show it but I'm not sure how to add a photo.
If anyone has any ideas, please share. Thanks

2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 3:46am
Hmm. Not sure what they mean by overtorqued either. But I can tell you that there is no torque on either the axle or frame until the weight of the trailer is applied to it.

It's possible that what they mean is that the axle was over or under "clocked", meaning that it was built with the torque arms (the pieces of steel that connects the axle to the wheels) assembled at the wrong takeoff angle. The torque arms swing up and down as the load on the axle changes because they're embedded in rubber inside the axle tube. If they were installed at the wrong angle the axle might bottom out under bump loads before it should, which would increase stress on the frame.

Or it could be that it's the bolts attaching the axle to the frame that were overtorqued, but I dont see an obvious reason why that would damage the frame and anyhow FR installs the axles onto⁰ the frame, not Lippert.

But I'm speculating. Hopefully Lippert will fix it for you and you won't have any future problems.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
tony rpod 180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote tony rpod 180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 10:33pm
Another update on my broken frame. Spoke to FR rep who told me that Lippert is who is requesting this repair because their axle is the cause of the frame breaking. Seems that a number of these axles made around 2018-2019 were overtorqued which can eventually cause floor problems and in my case frame problems. These are their words not mine. Rep said mine was one of the worse they had seen with this problem but definitely not the first. I’m not sure what overtorqued exactly means but that is what I was told.
GMC Canyon/RPoder
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 11:05am
Originally posted by tony rpod 180

Thank you Jim for posting photo for me!

de nada!

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
tony rpod 180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote tony rpod 180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 7:04am
Thank you Jim for posting photo for me!
GMC Canyon/RPoder
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by tony rpod 180

I have a photo but couldn’t figure out how to post it.

Here's the photo .... (it's pretty small, I blew it up 2x)

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>