R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Floor raised up in 2018 roof 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor raised up in 2018 roof 180
    Posted: 31 May 2022 at 6:58pm
Run a string line front to rear along the frame rails and see if the frame is bent. If it is there will be a gap between the frame rail and the string where the axle is.

You don't need to be overweight to bend the frame at that point if you have hit a pot hole or curb hard enough. The combination of the twist from the torsion axle rotating backward and the uplift force from the bump pushing the trailer up is enough to do it. Rpod frame and axle design is not really robust enough for real world use on the roads we often end up driving on, and that axle to frame attach point is the weakest spot on the trailer.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
tony rpod 180 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote tony rpod 180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 7:29pm
Update on my floor problem. Dealer found that the frame is completely broken through over the axle. Forest river says they will fix it but it has to go to factory in Indiana from Arkansas. Not sure yet if they are paying for it or not. I have a photo but couldn’t figure out how to post it.

GMC Canyon/RPoder
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 3:55am
Yep, that is more or less what I expecting. The question is, what caused it? Did you hit a big pot hole or curb at any point? Its interesting (and great) that FR is willing to fix it and not just claiming it was abuse, which they have in the past.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote tony rpod 180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 3:24pm
We babied this camper and never overloaded it or drove it too fast. Always very careful with it. Normal wear and tear. The service manager had not seen this before not to say it’s never happened.
GMC Canyon/RPoder
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 5:17pm
It has been reported by a few others on this forum but either because of hitting a rough potholed road or curb or possibly due to corrosion.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by tony rpod 180

I have a photo but couldn’t figure out how to post it.

Here's the photo .... (it's pretty small, I blew it up 2x)

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote tony rpod 180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 7:04am
Thank you Jim for posting photo for me!
GMC Canyon/RPoder
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 11:05am
Originally posted by tony rpod 180

Thank you Jim for posting photo for me!

de nada!

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote tony rpod 180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 10:33pm
Another update on my broken frame. Spoke to FR rep who told me that Lippert is who is requesting this repair because their axle is the cause of the frame breaking. Seems that a number of these axles made around 2018-2019 were overtorqued which can eventually cause floor problems and in my case frame problems. These are their words not mine. Rep said mine was one of the worse they had seen with this problem but definitely not the first. I’m not sure what overtorqued exactly means but that is what I was told.
GMC Canyon/RPoder
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 3:46am
Hmm. Not sure what they mean by overtorqued either. But I can tell you that there is no torque on either the axle or frame until the weight of the trailer is applied to it.

It's possible that what they mean is that the axle was over or under "clocked", meaning that it was built with the torque arms (the pieces of steel that connects the axle to the wheels) assembled at the wrong takeoff angle. The torque arms swing up and down as the load on the axle changes because they're embedded in rubber inside the axle tube. If they were installed at the wrong angle the axle might bottom out under bump loads before it should, which would increase stress on the frame.

Or it could be that it's the bolts attaching the axle to the frame that were overtorqued, but I dont see an obvious reason why that would damage the frame and anyhow FR installs the axles onto⁰ the frame, not Lippert.

But I'm speculating. Hopefully Lippert will fix it for you and you won't have any future problems.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>