R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Floor raised up in 2018 roof 180

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ZuBrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor raised up in 2018 roof 180
    Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 4:05pm
I think I have the same issue. I have a 2018 RP-189 and on my last camping trip I discovered the floor bulging up (1") about 6 - 8" from the doorway and the stairs are drooping lower than they had. I can see a distinct corner of something pushing the floor up, more on the forward side but both sides have issues. I was going to try and lift the vinyl flooring to look at what is going on but wanted to search this forum first. I have photos that show it but I'm not sure how to add a photo.
If anyone has any ideas, please share. Thanks

2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
ZuBrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZuBrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 4:47pm
I figured it out. You can see the vinyl is lifted where I push down 

2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2022 at 7:04pm
Go under the trailer and look at the frame where the axle is attached and see if it's bent or broken at that point.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ZuBrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZuBrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 9:03pm
Offgrid thank you for the info. I went under my trailer and looked things over; the frame, axle and mounts are all in good shape. Nothing broken or bent (I ran a string along the frame & the side wall). What I did find is the portion of the floor that sits beyond the frame has drooped nearly 1" along the both sides. It's more severe away from the corners. This has also caused the stairs to pitch downward and they're very spongy. I haven't torn anything apart yet but I think most of the floor will need to be replaced.
My dealer (Couches RV Nation) doesn't want to here about it. They just informed me it was out of warranty which I already knew. Do you think I'll get anywhere if I contact Forest River? I'm not sure how to go about that yet but I'll start with their website.

Thanks for any help on this,

2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 4:26pm
ZuBrew, I would definitely engage FR and see what they say. It wouldn't hurt. One of our slide out motors went kapoot a couple of months out of warranty and a couple of emails of FR helped get it covered at the dealership we purchased our 179 from.

BTW, nice motorcycle in your signature. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 6:10pm
Ok, good, you don't have a bent frame. The axle should be crowned a little (about 1/4 inch) in the center if you run a string line along the bottom of the axle from side to side. If it's flat it's bent.

Looks like you have a bad case of the infamous rpod outer floor sag. The floors are just two layers of lauan plywood with foam in between, and they cantilever outboard of the frame tubes, with the outer walls resting their weight plus the weight of the roof on the outside egdes of the floors. Not a very robust design, to say the least.

What I'd suggest next is to see if there is any moisture in the floor. You can get a wood moisture meter from Amazon for about $20. Poke the pins into the upper and lower lauan sheets and see if it's wet.

If it's wet you'll need to pull up the floor and dry everything out. If it's not wet then you might try jacking up the sides one at a time in several places. See how close to level you can get it. If it's pretty close (say 1/4 or so) and cosmetically acceptable to you then you could install outriggers to support the outer edges of the floor/walls, and call it good.

The outriggers carry the loads back to the frame. FR sells the outriggers because this is an well known problem, or you can fabricate them yourself. Lots of posts on this here if you do an advanced search.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try FR and see what they might do for you. They are well aware of the problem so if it's not wet (water damage is always the owners fault for not maintaining the seals) you might get something out of them. Good luck!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
ZuBrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZuBrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 12:57pm

UPDATE; I reached out to Forest River and received an email back from Tina in their warranty department. She asked me to send her photos;

• interior area where you are having an issue – 2 to 4 different views – (w/ 3’ level on the floor in the sagging area)
• exterior area where you are having an issue – 2 to 4 different views – (square level butted up to the frame - include the front and rear view of the axle in photos)
• 4 sided view of your coach (make sure to get closer to the wheel and wheel wells in the side photos)
• your towing set up (hitch set up, hitch, if WDH need the rating, and tow vehicle )

I put several photos with descriptions in PowerPoint along with my truck and hitch details and sent that to her. Now the waiting game until I hear if they're going to help me or not. 

I searched on posts with the word outrigger in them and I’ve been reading them. It’s sad this has been happening since 2016 and no recall has been done.

UPDATE to the Update;

I sent the email to Tina today and in less than 2 hours she responded. They're going to bring my RP-189 back to the factory for repairs. She mentioned in the email; "I will add you to my list of coaches to return. At this time we are out with service until early next year.

Repairs that will be considered:  replace floor, replace axle, and install outriggers. We will also look at damage caused by this also. 

As long as your have 2” of tire / fender clearance you should be fine to travel."

I don't have anymore camping planned for this year but I'd be a little worried to pull it too far. I hope the repair doesn't go too far into next year. 
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
canadiandad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote canadiandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 6:44pm
Any updates on the return of your R-Pod to the factory?
2018 Rpod 180 - new to us in May 2021
2011 Toyota Highlander AWD
ZuBrew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ZuBrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 7:52pm
Not a lot has changed. My Rpod is sitting in my driveway waiting for Forest River to work it into their schedule. I emailed them about 2 weeks ago and inquired about the pickup date. They informed me they had 179 Rpods to bring back right now and they didn't expect to get to my Rpod until May 2023. I hope it doesn't take too long for the repair, camping season will be open for us here. I decided not to make any camping reservations until I knew when it will be fixed.

I saw a picture online of the new independent axle going in Rpods beginning this year and you could see they're installing the new version (longer) right angle brackets supporting out to the wall. 
2018 R-Pod 189
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300A
canadiandad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote canadiandad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 7:45am
Email them again using Tina’s contact. I did this week and a new person answered back with a service agreement for me to fill out and send it. I have. 180 and this matches the timeline Tina gave me before Christmas. Good luck!
2018 Rpod 180 - new to us in May 2021
2011 Toyota Highlander AWD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>