R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Solar system test

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StreetSweeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar system test
    Posted: 29 May 2022 at 1:24pm
I was curious how well the solar system worked on my new (2022) r-Pod 171. I have dual Interstate batteries and ran them down to yellow light, 1/4 full, I then shut off all electric. After 1 cloudy day there was no change on the indicator. However after 1 sunny day here in Texas the system charged the batteries up to 3/4 full, green light. I was certainly pleased as I want to be able to rely on the solar when out in the boonies when I have no propane for the generators. The solar works, frankly, better than I expected.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 3:48pm
As you see, you can't rely on solar if it's cloudy, the output can be as low as about 10% depending on how dense the clouds are. I've been a solar engineer for over 40 years now but still carry a small genset for those dark days.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 4:30pm
+1  Also pick up a multitestor as the factory light indicator is just that, an indicator.  You don't want to run your 12v batteries below 12.2v for maximum longevity before recharging them. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 8:04am
I ordered a small 1"  Volt meter, switch and plastic mounting plate and cut a hole in the thin plywood above the factory panel, from Amazon, so now I can read battery voltage directly. Slick as can be.  My 6v batteries are now close to 10 yrs old and starting to fade a bit. 12.6 is the most I can get at full charge and they seem to go down a bit faster.  Copied a chart from a book called 12 Volt Bible for Boats.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 9:14am
You have done well.  I had a pair of 12v Interstates group size 24 deep cycle that were purchased 6 months apart.  Had to replace the oldest one last August, it was a few months shy of 11 years old.  The other one turned 11 last month and is still going strong.  The replacement I purchased was a 12v golf cart battery, Trojan T-1275 and is a beast at 85 pounds but it is something that was a blessing in disguise as I need extra tongue weight to offset the full FW tank of water that is carried on the 177 (tank is behind the axle).  By getting the heavier battery I was able to lose a few truck rotors that were kept in the front stow area freeing up valuable storage space.  And now I am above the 11% tongue weight needed to reduce/eliminate sway.  Am all the way up to 340 lbs. on the tongue, way above that 11% figure.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StreetSweeper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StreetSweeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:21pm
Great advice, thanks all!
"SWIZZLE STICK"
'22 #171
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
 Post Reply Post Reply