R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Adding 12V Battery in Parallel and Solar Charging
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Adding 12V Battery in Parallel and Solar Charging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote timirey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding 12V Battery in Parallel and Solar Charging
    Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 11:41am
I just took delivery of my 2022 Rpod 202 and love it.  I am buying a second battery and will set it up in parallel.  Question: Do I need to set the solar charging connections positive to one battery and negative to the other like you do with the trailer positive and trailer negative?  Any advice will be welcomed! Picked the unit up on Tuesday last week and on Thursday left for Montana (10 hour drive). Did I mention gas is expensive but it was worth it.  Thanks!

'19 Dodge Ram Laramie
'22 RP202
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 12:04pm
Yes, that would help balance the parallel batteries better. Also try to get the same manufacturer and model battery as you got with your new trailer.

And make sure there is an appropriately sized fuse or circuit breaker in the +12v line to the solar charge controller, as close to the battery as you can. Appropriate being at least 1.56 times the short circuit current (Isc) of your solar module (should be on the module label) but not more than the max fuse size on the label. Why 1.56 you might ask? That's 1.25 x 1.25, the first 25% being the normal fuse oversize requirement to avoid nuisance trips, the second being to account for high solar output due to edge of cloud reflection. Anyhow that is the code requirement for solar.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
timirey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timirey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 1:10pm
Great information!  Thanks
'19 Dodge Ram Laramie
'22 RP202
 Post Reply Post Reply